New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Clapping, tinging noise coming from tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Clapping, tinging noise coming from tail pipe

I have a 00 camaro ss and I’m experiencing a clapping ping coming from the rear of the car it is the loudest like the car is sputtering it out every 5 seconds or so. I have a video if I figure out how to share it. But far as sitting inside it seems to idle good between 750 and 800rpm. Car does shake some idling but idle is pretty steady, motor runs smooth. It’s like a rrrrrrrrr ping ping rrrrrrrr ping rrrr ping ping. Lol. Car has hooker long tube headers, slp loud mouth exhaust. I’ve also changed plugs, wires, air, fuel, oil filter, cleaned maf, iac, throttle body, new tps, new o2 sensors, cleaned egr valve, new exit hose that had a hole in it, new knock sensors and harness and new oil pressure sensor.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video

Originally Posted by RobertJr1989
I have a 00 camaro ss and I’m experiencing a clapping ping coming from the rear of the car it is the loudest like the car is sputtering it out every 5 seconds or so. I have a video if I figure out how to share it. But far as sitting inside it seems to idle good between 750 and 800rpm. Car does shake some idling but idle is pretty steady, motor runs smooth. It’s like a rrrrrrrrr ping ping rrrrrrrr ping rrrr ping ping. Lol. Car has hooker long tube headers, slp loud mouth exhaust. I’ve also changed plugs, wires, air, fuel, oil filter, cleaned maf, iac, throttle body, new tps, new o2 sensors, cleaned egr valve, new exit hose that had a hole in it, new knock sensors and harness and new oil pressure sensor.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting noise.

My first advice would be to get it up on jack stands, or preferably a lift, and then listen from under the car. Could be an exhaust leak. I had a mystery noise that I was sure was in the valve train and then the shop got it up on a lift and it was a break in the exhaust pipe.

Next I would pull the valve covers off and look at the rocker arms and push rods. This is a simple thing to do.

But first a close look and listen to the exhaust.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Did it do the " rrrrrrrrr ping ping rrrrrrrr ping rrrr ping ping before or after all the parts were changed?