Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Gas pedal self adjusting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Gas pedal self adjusting?

Hello, I just recently bought a 99 Camaro Z28 that has a 2002 SS LS1 transplant. When sitting at red lights while in gear the gas pedal self adjust itself, it's like it's automated and it will go to the floor and raise back up by itself. it's not like it comes loose or anything, even with my foot resting on it it has the power to raise my foot back up. I've never seen or heard of this before and wondered if anyone knows what this is and if it's anything to worry about. It seems to do it more in the warmer temperatures like summer. I've only see this happen while it's in drive, it is an automatic btw. any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That sounds strange. I'm guessing you have a traction control (TCS) car? I would suspect your TCS motor or whatever it is referred to is faulty. I have driven many TCS and non-TCS cable driven throttle body LS1's and never felt the pedal adjust.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Definitely not normal, nothing about what you've described should ever be happening.

I would agree with the above, my first guess would be something to do with the ASR system behaving in a way it shouldn't be (since nothing else should have any influence over the gas pedal if it's a non-ASR car).
Old 04-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does have ASR but yeah, it is strange. It only happens while sitting still at idle with it in drive, if it starts acting up while driving it's gonna get parked. thank you all for the replies.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Traction control may be freaking out due to an ABS issue, do you have an ABS light on? If so get it checked out. That's a pretty bad issue and could cause some sort of issue where you aren't in control of the throttle.

If you don't care about the traction control you could put a non TC throttle cable on it and be rid of the issue.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Does it also happen with the ASR turned off?

If it's a freak out on the electronic side of the ASR module (which sounds likely, since the cable isn't permanently bound up), I wonder if simply unplugging it (at the module) would work? I've never had to trouble shoot this system before, not sure what the typical failure modes are.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would it help if he monitored/graphed throttle position while at a stop at different temps, like with an OBD-II reader or a blue-tooth one with Torque app?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Would it help if he monitored/graphed throttle position while at a stop at different temps, like with an OBD-II reader or a blue-tooth one with Torque app?
Not likely. The traction control comes into play when it sees varying wheel speeds between the wheels. That's what really needs to be data streamed, is wheel speeds.

The tps would go up and down if the throttle was being actuated, he didn't say anything about the car revving or taking off so it sounds like it's only an issue with the pedal itself moving, not the throttle.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

maybe your car is turning to the real life version of christine 😂 make sure to check the garage at night to make sure its not going on nightly strolls
Old 04-07-2018, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Foot Feed Adjuster for Pedal

Hi All, we have worked on a new product for a customer the ALLOWS you to CHANGE the "delay" in the Gas Pedal/Air Door movement/position.

The **** adjuster module allows you to choose by twist of the fingers.

Would some here be interested ?

Lance