New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another noob question or three

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noob question or three

okay to rehash, I just bought a 150k mile 2005 Silverado 2500hd 4x4(floor shift) with a 6.0, NV4500 5-speed, and one of those automatic locking rear diffs. What is the engine code that refers to this motor? Lm4? Ls2? I’m unaware. What heads do I have? Are they any good? Any other useful bits of info I need about this model before I start tracking down parts is appreciated. I’ll probably do head gaskets, studs, springs, cam/timing set, lifters if need be, headers, and an intake manifold/throttle body and any other stuff I’m missing if it’s worth it. I just still have to be able to tow a bobcat, even if it takes more fuel. I know how to put a motor together and keep it alive, but any help is welcome.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

The original engine probably was a LQ4 if the truck has a U code VIN . The heads would be "317" castings. You can see the 317 cast into the head just fwd or aft of the exhaust depending on what side you are looking at. "317" heads flow very good numbers for stock castings. The chambers are 71cc. They flow better than LS1 stock castings. I wouldn't do studs on your application.I would do a camshaft something similar to a 210*/218* LSA 116*+2. Don't waist your money on a manifold/throttle body. The factory set up will be more than adequate.
A combo like this can actually give better economy than factory when driven sensibly
Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Thanks!!

I really appreciate it dude!!! That’s extremely helpful. Can’t wait to get this thing sounding and acting a little meaner.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Default Two questions

Okay so I need to either have my injectors cleaned or a replacement set, and likely rails too. I just replaced the pump/filter/sending unit and all the fuel lines, but they were badly rusted and this is a returnless system with only an in-tank filter so the injectors are clogged too, and It’s having the random multiple misfire and choppy acceleration. What’s your recommendation on that? Clean factory ones or get new ones? and if you have a recommendation for brand that’s welcome.

Also, should I get lifters or just springs with that cam or are the factory ones fine?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just received my injectors back from Eric Derr. He will rebuild your injectors at a super reasonable charge and give you a before and after flow readings of all 8 injectors. You can probably do a forum search here to find more info about his service and feedback.PM for info if you like. I would buy a new fuel rail. These can be bought for $100 new incl. shipping. As for cam/springs...Call and talk to a couple of the LS power making businesses out there. Tell them what your usage intention is for the truck.If you are honest with the info you give them they will recommend a cam grind for your engine that you will be happy with. Tell them if and how often you tow, how heavy you tow, tire size,etc.

Last edited by jetech; 05-21-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Can you direct me to this guy?

Where can I contact mr derr? What does he charge for the 8?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

75, I sent you a private message