Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V6 swap

My buddies pretty content on what he wants to do with his 2001 Camaro 3.8l 5-speed. Will a 99-02 ls1 engine wiring harness plug right in? As well as with a 4l60e harness? Besides everything that has to be replaced which I’ve found online what have you done for the throttle cable? Since it will be going from electronic to a actual throttle cable.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 95 V6 camaro that I'm looking to swap in a ls3. Good luck with yours!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSWho?
I also have a 95 V6 camaro that I'm looking to swap in a ls3. Good luck with yours!

Any idea on the harness’s or throttle cable?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You basically have to swap everything. The harness, PCM, the throttle cable and pedal assembly. Everyone says the best bet is to get a donor car so you can drop the front end out of that car, and put it in yours. Nothing engine/trans related will be able to transfer from 3800 to LS. Best bet is to do some searching and really read up on how to swap it, it's been done a bunch. A lot of others will tell you to just ditch that car and buy an LS car. I'm the type who loves a project so I'll be sticking with my car and swapping it. I do plan on buying a donor car though, so I'm not nickel and dimed to death. It will get you, based on all the parts I've seen that need to be replaced, it's not just the engine/trans, it really is EVERYTHING.
I have seen that the cluster may or may not need to be changed, I've seen guys who have said they have used their V6 cluster, others say it has to be swapped.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by drdave88
You basically have to swap everything. The harness, PCM, the throttle cable and pedal assembly. Everyone says the best bet is to get a donor car so you can drop the front end out of that car, and put it in yours. Nothing engine/trans related will be able to transfer from 3800 to LS. Best bet is to do some searching and really read up on how to swap it, it's been done a bunch. A lot of others will tell you to just ditch that car and buy an LS car. I'm the type who loves a project so I'll be sticking with my car and swapping it. I do plan on buying a donor car though, so I'm not nickel and dimed to death. It will get you, based on all the parts I've seen that need to be replaced, it's not just the engine/trans, it really is EVERYTHING.
I have seen that the cluster may or may not need to be changed, I've seen guys who have said they have used their V6 cluster, others say it has to be swapped.

Ya I’ve read a lot about what news to be changed the only question I have is the wiring going from a 5 speed trans to a 4l60e. Everything thing else I’ve read shows all the components that have to be changed just trying to figure out the wiring for the the trans swap
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You get the whole harness for an LS/4L60E. Then when you drop the 3800/T5, you remove that harness and install the new one. The LS/4L60E harness will plug into all of the existing body harnesses that stay on the car. The only connections for that should be on the passenger side kick panel inside the car. Everything else will be contained under the hood or under the car. It all comes out, then a whole new one goes in. Nothing is spliced or kept from the old powertrain.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by drdave88
You get the whole harness for an LS/4L60E. Then when you drop the 3800/T5, you remove that harness and install the new one. The LS/4L60E harness will plug into all of the existing body harnesses that stay on the car. The only connections for that should be on the passenger side kick panel inside the car. Everything else will be contained under the hood or under the car. It all comes out, then a whole new one goes in. Nothing is spliced or kept from the old powertrain.
Awesome thanks

Quick Reply: V6 swap