New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I installed the 92 TB/AIM from FAST and now I have no oil pressure or 100% Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I installed the 92 TB/AIM from FAST and now I have no oil pressure or 100% Throttle

1998 TransAm WS6 A4 ~70,000 Miles with Headers/ORY/Borla, SLP Lid, and just now installed the 92TB/AIM from FAST.

I'm freaking out here. That was a huge job, and I shouldn't have undertaken it myself. But I made sure I followed instructions the absolute best I could. Every vacuum line is on tight, every thing is sealed, everything is plugged in, but I have no oil pressure! It says Check Gauges on the dash and the oil pressure is 0. My heart skipped a beat because I blew up my 3800 II in my V6 Firebird from a dying oil pump, but when I reached back.. it seems like a little cylinder is loose on the driver side, but I can barely do anything with it because of how little room their is. Is that the oil pressure sensor? Also, is it safe to drive without it? Obviously, I wouldn't know if I DID have oil pressure problems, but **** ME I do NOT feel like taking that damn manifold off again right this second. This was a 6 day project, I lack a lot of the skill you guys do.

Also, I can't get more than 80% throttle with the new 92mm throttle body from FAST, according to my scanner thing.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 08-28-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Relax bud...... it will all be good lol
My guess is you cracked the oil pressure sensor. I definitely would get it replaced. You have oil pressure is just not reading it.

As far as the 80%, Did you do the TPS relearn?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Relax bud...... it will all be good lol
My guess is you cracked the oil pressure sensor. I definitely would get it replaced. You have oil pressure is just not reading it.

As far as the 80%, Did you do the TPS relearn?
How do I do that? Also, I guess I'm going to have to pay a shop to do that, because I am not redoing that manifold and fuel rail in the near future. lol

But MAN, even at 80% throttle this thing SCREAMS now. I feel like I made more gains than my long headers, even if that isn't actually true. (This could be because the 92/92 effects the whole RPM range, and the headers maybe had power up top but less torque at bottom? I don't know, I'm just guessing with my "butt dyno" lol.)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Throttle Position Sensor relearn.

Key off.
Unplug TPS.
Turn key on for 5 seconds.
Key off.
Plug in TPS.
Turn key on. Closed throttle should be 0%.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome, I'mma do that in the morning. Thanks a lot, brother.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

As far as replacing the oil pressure sensor..... you need a socket that auto parts stores ( got mine at oriellys ) usually sell. Just remove intake bolts. Lift intake straight up then straight out about half a inch and you should be able to get to it.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Part # J-41712
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as replacing the oil pressure sensor..... you need a socket that auto parts stores ( got mine at oriellys ) usually sell. Just remove intake bolts. Lift intake straight up then straight out about half a inch and you should be able to get to it.
So I can do it without removing the entire intake/fuel rail? Just that little "half pull" thing I did when first taking it out? That would be a lot easier...
Old 08-28-2018, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
So I can do it without removing the entire intake/fuel rail? Just that little "half pull" thing I did when first taking it out? That would be a lot easier...
Correct, pull the vacuum line out of the brake booster and pull it to the passenger side first before pulling. That is probably what originally broke it. Then after when everything is done plug the vacuum line back into the brake booster
Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It gets to 92% now, which I couldn't get more than 97% on my stock throttle body, so works for me, I guess. I'm having some awful idle spells intermittently, but I don't think that's related. I need to buy Corvette 02's, because I got my extensions wet, and they've been throwing codes ever since. It also only stumbles once in closed loop, so yeah. (This happened BEFORE installing the new TB/AIM, also.) lol

But my throttle sticks BAD sometimes (from 0% only, it's fine after I get it moving.) It *also* used to do this before while completely stock, but now it's like DEAD STOP, I CANNOT get the throttle to move, and then I put some muscle in to it and because of the over-force I end up chirping the tires and looking like an *******, hitting 40% throttle instead of my goal of like ..4%. I'm not sure what that's about. It happens like ... 1/5th of the time from a dead stop.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 08-28-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, UPDATE, I think I had the throttle resting on the blade instead of the screw. Because after adjusting it slightly, I don't have the sticking problem anymore (knock on wood.) After I replace both front O2's, hopefully the idle issue will be gone.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Okay, UPDATE, I think I had the throttle resting on the blade instead of the screw. Because after adjusting it slightly, I don't have the sticking problem anymore (knock on wood.) After I replace both front O2's, hopefully the idle issue will be gone.
If you adjusted the blade at all do the tps relearn again
Old 08-28-2018, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you adjusted the blade at all do the tps relearn again
Don't worry, I did. Do you know if it would be safe to just unplug the Front O2's for a week or two until I can buy the Corvette ones? Like, force it in to Open Loop all day, or something? I'm tired of this thing going psycho at idle on Closed Loop.

Also, do you happen to know the part number for the front O2 Corvette sensors that can reach long tube holes without extension? I'm trying to look myself, but seem to be failing. I'm not trying to be annoying, just want to get this right the first time...

Last edited by SouthernRex; 08-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, so I bought a new IAC and the idle is STILL surging (often in to a stall.) There must be a vacuum leak somewhere...

EDIT: Aaaaaaand now it is misfiring like ******* crazy to the point I almost got in 3 wrecks. And I'm getting "no activity B1S1 etc.". So I definitely need O2s.

FURTHER UPDATE: I cleaned the **** out of my MAF and then the O2 extension male and female connection with MAF cleaner. So far the idle has stabilized, and no more misfiring. I still need those Corvette O2s (I think rear for 2000 Corvette, right?), but at least it's not undriveable until I get them.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 08-31-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you Cayenne. I owe you a beer, man. This was SO much easier to fix with the intake loose, like you said. It is just so awful screwing and unscrewing that damn air intake thing. I always lose a ton of blood, I've lost 3 8mm sockets in the last two weeks LOL ... just **** man. I know I'm being a whiny bitch right now, but I hate how some of this stuff is laid out. lol Thanks again, brother.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 09-01-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

id recommend checking that your throttle cable isn't too short now. sounds like you are good but wouldn't hurt to check. when i did a fast 90/90 swap my throttle blade stayed open about 5% despite there being no throttle.......push on the bottom of the blade with light pressure and see if it closes more. if it does, loosen the clip on the little black box located on your throttle cable above the passenger side head and give yourself a little more cable.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the world of f bodys, wait till you have to change plugs on the passenger side.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Floorman279
id recommend checking that your throttle cable isn't too short now. sounds like you are good but wouldn't hurt to check. when i did a fast 90/90 swap my throttle blade stayed open about 5% despite there being no throttle.......push on the bottom of the blade with light pressure and see if it closes more. if it does, loosen the clip on the little black box located on your throttle cable above the passenger side head and give yourself a little more cable.
There are two holes on this throttle body for some reason (I guess for different car/LS# applications?) I played with the adjustment screw and have it in the higher up hole, and did all the re-learning (I actually unplugged my battery for 10 minutes after cleaning the MAF) it seems good from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Welcome to the world of f bodys, wait till you have to change plugs on the passenger side.
I had a shop change the plugs when I got the headers installed, but I sleeved all 8 spark plug wires (for heat protection, but largely for cosmetic reasons) and that last one passenger side was bullshit, lmao. I had to go under the car to really get good leverage on it.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

i dont see how plugs are an issue if you remove the coil packs. ive never had an issue but i also dont have ac or emissions, not that those really get in the way anyway
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The rear passenger plug wire took me almost as long to put on as it took to change all the plugs. If I put it on the coil first I didn't have room to get my hand on the plug end. If I put it on the plug first I couldn't get it angled for the coil. I was really tempted to cut an access hole in wheelwell after a while lol