New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 - 5 Dead Cylinders - Very Strange

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 - 5 Dead Cylinders - Very Strange

Hi everyone I have a heck of a problem. I have an LS1 in my off-road car being controlled by a MIFI computer. Car last year was completely re-wired and I’ve put 1500 miles on it with zero issues. Last trip out it started running awful, first thing I thought was injectors as I’ve had a similar issue. I sent all the injectors out and they came back OK and I’ve used this company 3 other times. I have cylinders 3,4,5,6,8 all dead. I’m using an infrared on the exhaust and I know they are dead. So I swapped the coil, no change then the plug, no change then the wire, no change. I read about broken springs, I pulled the valve covers and BAM I found a broken spring and a loose rocker. I call an engine builder friend and he sends me out some new springs and I install them. I decided when I had the rockers off I would do a leak down, this would be the best time, all cylinders came back very good I was impressed. After I got new valve seals and springs installed I fired it back up and still no change. I have a Noid light and all the injectors are pulsing as should, I compared each one to a cylinder that is OK. I then bought an in-line spark tester, all cylinders appear to be ok, I tested that using a good running cylinder. The last thing I did was a compression test and they were all from 178 (lowest) to 192 (highest) with an average of 188 so I think that’s fine. I’m at a loss here, I can’t see it being a crank or cam sensor. I checked my big cannon plug in the motor and All pins OK, fuel pressure is at 61# like I said this car has 1500 miles with no issues so I can’t see it being a wiring issues considering I feel injection pulse and spark are present. Let me know what you think to check next, I’m going to use jumper cables to try as a ground to see if something odd is going on.

Last edited by Riverguy553; 08-29-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's a MIFI computer?
Old 08-30-2018, 05:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are sure your getting enough spark to the wires dont bother checking grounds. Could be Firing order, crank timing gear. Gear needs to be in the correct position, sometimes they slip or wander more than the .020 per side allowed at the sensor. Bad sensor? My gear was off just a little in one spot and my Y pipe looked like a zebra on the outside. Lots of cold cylinders. I had to pull the crank and put on a new one. But that one got damaged in the mail and never ran right for months till I pulled all my hair out before figuring it out. I hate rebuilding brand new engines. GRRRRR.