New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I Know What I Want, But I Have Some Questions

Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Think I Know What I Want, But I Have Some Questions

Hello everyone. I made my introduction post not too long ago explaining that I have a 1998 Trans Am that's going to be mostly undriven as winter approaches and I'd like to do some mods to it. I've been doing a ton more research and I still think the plan I laid out in my intro post is the way I want to go. I'm thinking of a FAST 102mm intake manifold, a Holley Sniper 102mm throttle body, and then Pacesetter long tube headers, a cold air intake, and a cat-back exhaust system. I put the intake manifold and throttle body first on my list because I feel I can install those myself pretty easily. But I have a few questions. The Sniper Throttle body doesn't use the stoxk TPS or IAC, and I've budgeted in those parts, but are those easy to install for a do it yourself guy? What tools are needed? Next, I know that I'll have to have a tune installed after the headers and intake manifold are installed, and the EGR codes will have to be taken out, but are there any parts to the EGR system besides the ones on the intake manifold and exhaust manifold that I'll have to remove? Third, will the stock airlid fit into the 102mm throttle body/intake? I realize this will restrict the gains made by the new parts, but I'd like to put on the intake manifold and throttle body first so that when I save up and finally choose which CAI I want to install, everything behind it has already been taken care of. Although if I can figure out which one I like before it comes time to order parts, I'll most likely order it all at once. Also, around what amount of power does it become imperative to install subframe connectors? I'm definitely not going to try to push the limits of the unibody before I install them. But if my first few mods won't be difficult for the car to handle, then I won't prioritize them. Lastly, what's the deciding factor between weld-in and bolt-in subframe connectors? Could I just go with bolt in connectors and then weld them later if I feel its needed? That's all I can think of right now. I'm most likely missing or forgetting something because I'm typing this at two in the morning after about a 2 hour modding study session. I can already tell this is going to be an addictive hobby that I am going to love and my bank account is going to hate. Thanks for any advice or tips.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With FAST 102 Intake Manifold you will need different fuel rail, that's why I went with FAST 92. I don't know the rest of the answers, but the EGR is only to the intake manifold and exhaust. I had to block off where they hooked up because it was a few months before installing my headers, but if you are going straight to the intake and headers you won't need to bother.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Well dang. I appreciate the reply. That sucks. I'll look into the 92mm then. Do you know if the Atomic AirForce intake will work with stock fuel rails? I'm just trying to make sure I know all my options here.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Do yourself a favor, the extra effort and costs of a 102 are not worth it. Stick to the 90 or 92. I do believe tho that the mSD accepts factory fuel rails. Not to be a jerk, but most of your answers can be found through a search. There u will find that the shorter runners on the msd wouldn't be beneficial for your street setup
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Dre Butler
Well dang. I appreciate the reply. That sucks. I'll look into the 92mm then. Do you know if the Atomic AirForce intake will work with stock fuel rails? I'm just trying to make sure I know all my options here.
Both the Fast 102 and Msd Air Force require Ls2 fuel rails and spacers if using Ev1 injectors.

Imo the Msd Air Force was not bad to put on and definitely worth it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Both the Fast 102 and Msd Air Force require Ls2 fuel rails and spacers if using Ev1 injectors.

Imo the Msd Air Force was not bad to put on and definitely worth it.
were u spinning above 7000? Cause it doesn't sound like that was the plan for the op
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Floorman279
were u spinning above 7000? Cause it doesn't sound like that was the plan for the op
yes I do spin over 7000
Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Do yourself a favor, the extra effort and costs of a 102 are not worth it. Stick to the 90 or 92. I do believe tho that the mSD accepts factory fuel rails. Not to be a jerk, but most of your answers can be found through a search. There u will find that the shorter runners on the msd wouldn't be beneficial for your street setup
Much of it most likely could have been found with more research, although I don't know precisely where to look for the best info, a lot of the answers I've seen on these forums have been helpful, but there have also been plenty of contradicting anecdotes. On the topic of the MSD for example, some people claim its poorly built, some say it doesn't fit under a stock hood, and some say you have to install aftermarket fuel pumps and even then it will still rub without some modification. But others claim the exact opposite. I suppose I'll just go with from what I can tell so far is a nice and safe setup. FAST 92 intake manifold, Holley Sniper 92 throttle body, Pacesetter headers and Y-Pipe. Then the tune, CAI, and cat-back whenever I decide what I want for those. I appreciate the reply. You didn't come off as a jerk at all.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

you used to be able to search specifically by typing into google "fast 90 vs fast 102 ls1tech.com". thats an easy way to find specific stuff. id research long vs mid length runner/ both fasts use the long runners from the factory, and the msd uses mid length. that should help you decide why you should choose a long runner design.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

i never was a big person on getting angry at people for not searching until recently. i dont understand why people won't search and would rather post up their question, and wait a few hours to get an answer, then another few hours for someone to argue and say the first person is wrong and it takes 2 days to get enough people to agree with the first person that the original person who asked the question now has the answer they were looking for it. if people would search, they would speed up that process from days to just minutes to get the answer they need, then they can move on and search their next question. not getting mad at you, just venting.

wherever you read that you need a fuel pump for the msd, take a note of who said that and dont listen to any of their posts again
Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

i never was a big person on getting angry at people for not searching until recently. i dont understand why people won't search and would rather post up their question, and wait a few hours to get an answer, then another few hours for someone to argue and say the first person is wrong and it takes 2 days to get enough people to agree with the first person that the original person who asked the question now has the answer they were looking for it. if people would search, they would speed up that process from days to just minutes to get the answer they need, then they can move on and search their next question. not getting mad at you, just venting.

wherever you read that you need a fuel pump for the msd, take a note of who said that and dont listen to any of their posts again
Same here and agree.

I literally spend hours just punching things into google that I'm wondering about and just write Ls1 after your questions and you will get enough results that you could not cover all the results in a year if you wanted to.

Search this Thread