Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor won't turn over by hand.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor won't turn over by hand.

Hey guys, I have a motor I purchased a while back, and it initally would turn over by hand, and once I had it home and on a stand I left it for a while.

Now it won't turn over by hand, and thought maybe it was catching on something in the oil pan, but the pan is off and I have just about everything else off with exceptions to the crankshaft and camshaft and maybe 2 pistons which I can't reach the bolts to take out.

Any ideas what could be causing it?
Old 10-28-2018, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Might be that the pistons are stuck in the cylinder from sitting, Try spraying some WD40 or oil into the cylinders and let it sit for a few hours then try to turn it.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Might be that the pistons are stuck in the cylinder from sitting, Try spraying some WD40 or oil into the cylinders and let it sit for a few hours then try to turn it.

It has a slight amount of wiggle room back and forth. Forgot to mention. So it isn't comepletely stuck, so, I'm not entirely sure if the pistons are stuck. I could be wrong.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

You could have some hydro lock in the cylinders. Take all of the spark plugs out and see if it'll rotate.

Ric