Sponsored by:

Terrible grinding when attempting to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible grinding when attempting to start

Hi everyone,

Looking for help, I have a 98 Trans Am LS1 automatic with 85K that I've owned for a little over a year. As the title implies, when I go to start it, the starter just grinds and does not turn over at all. It sounds like a grind similar to if you tried to start it while it's already running.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I haven't had any starting issues with this car before. I tried jumping it today to see if it was a weak battery issue, but nothing improved.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by BlackTranzam; 12-02-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it most likely your starter is bad (solenoid not fully engaging). Flywheel could be missing some teeth, but that seems unlikely.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did the block crack where the starter is? This same thing happened to me where the block cracked causing the starter to not be aligned with the flex plate causing a very harsh grinding / rubbing noise.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Its likely your starter just is going bad. Remove it and inspect there is no cracks in the block as mentioned above, its unlikely but obviously it can happen. Also inspect the flywheel to make sure no damaged teeth. Probably just need to replace the starter.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

UPDATE: 1/27/19

After taking out the old starter, it was found the mounting point of the starter to the block was cracked, causing the starter to misaligne. The block is fine, flexplate does not seem to be missing teeth. A new starter was put in, turn the key, clunk. It's no longer grinking, but now the starter can't turn the motor, which may be why the starter broke to begin with. The motor turns to a point when manually rotating the crankshaft, but then will not continue to rotate.

Is it hydrolocked? Or do you think there's a stuck pully that's not enabling the motor to rotate?

Last edited by BlackTranzam; 01-28-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove spark plugs (to release compression thus easier to manually rotate engine) AND remove the accessory belts, then again try to manually rotate the engine if not done so already.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Remove spark plugs (to release compression thus easier to manually rotate engine) AND remove the accessory belts, then again try to manually rotate the engine if not done so already.
Always start with removing the belt and turning it by hand. A seized ac compressor with a strong belt can stop an engine quick.