Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I got beat by a v6 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I got beat by a v6 mustang

So I just bought my first ls car (99 trans am) It has the ram air hood and ram air intake but is not a ws6. I GOT BEAT BY A STANDARD V6 MUSTANG IN EVERY RACE WE DID 40 ROLE,30 ROLE,60 ROLE AND 90 ROLE. The year was one of the 05 or 06. I have a auto and now I am regretting buying this car all though I couldnt find a standard with under 100k miles for 10k or less. What can I do to not let this happen again?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If there is nothing obviously wrong (such as an SES light, slipping transmission, engine unable to reach high rpms, etc.) then I would start by checking fuel pressure under load. As these cars have aged, unexplained power loss (with no other obvious driveability issues) is often the result of poor fuel pressure from a weakening pump. It could also be in need of a general tune-up (plugs, MAF cleaning, etc.), but you didn't mention anything about hesitation or other driveability issues or codes so I don't think you'll find a bunch of missing power there (but it's still a good idea to cover all maintenance bases when addressing power loss).

'05/'06 V6 Mustangs are not fast, certainly not faster than a properly running LS1 F-body. Yes, the M6 LS1s are usually a bit faster (when well driven) than the auto stock for stock, but the autos are not drastically slower by any means (assuming all else is equal, and that nothing is actually wrong with the transmission). In other words, you didn't lose to the V6 Mustang because you have an auto, you lost either because your LS1 is down on power (at the wheels) and/or because that V6 Mustang had something you didn't know about (N2O, etc.).
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If there is nothing obviously wrong (such as an SES light, slipping transmission, engine unable to reach high rpms, etc.) then I would start by checking fuel pressure under load. As these cars have aged, unexplained power loss (with no other obvious driveability issues) is often the result of poor fuel pressure from a weakening pump. It could also be in need of a general tune-up (plugs, MAF cleaning, etc.), but you didn't mention anything about hesitation or other driveability issues or codes so I don't think you'll find a bunch of missing power there (but it's still a good idea to cover all maintenance bases when addressing power loss).

'05/'06 V6 Mustangs are not fast, certainly not faster than a properly running LS1 F-body. Yes, the M6 LS1s are usually a bit faster (when well driven) than the auto stock for stock, but the autos are not drastically slower by any means (assuming all else is equal, and that nothing is actually wrong with the transmission). In other words, you didn't lose to the V6 Mustang because you have an auto, you lost either because your LS1 is down on power (at the wheels) and/or because that V6 Mustang had something you didn't know about (N2O, etc.).
Yes no code lights on for me at all 92k miles running perfectly so I thought
Old 12-13-2018, 04:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Josh Boone
Yes no code lights on for me at all 92k miles running perfectly so I thought
A properly running LS1 F-body makes about 140hp more than a 2005-06 V6 Mustang, stock for stock, with a weight difference of about ~100lbs depending on options.

Either your LS1 is experiencing major power loss at the wheels (meaning engine OR transmission issue), or that V6 car had some sort of significant modification(s) of which you were unaware.

If you're seeing no codes and have no other obvious driveability issues, I'd start with a quick visual inspection of the air intake track to make sure there are no blockages (including a clogged filter) from the air lid to the throttle body, check to make sure that the throttle blade is fully open during WOT at the pedal, and then I'd do a loaded fuel pressure test.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

check fuel pressure. back when I had my firebird, everything seemed to run fine but was slow as *****. checked fuel pressure doing a full throttle run and the fuel pressure dropped like crazy and the AFR went from 12.5 to straight lean like 14.0.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fst100
check fuel pressure. back when I had my firebird, everything seemed to run fine but was slow as *****. checked fuel pressure doing a full throttle run and the fuel pressure dropped like crazy and the AFR went from 12.5 to straight lean like 14.0.
Ill have to do that but I dont really feel a power loss.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I just bought my first ls car (99 trans am) It has the ram air hood and ram air intake but is not a ws6. I GOT BEAT BY A STANDARD V6 MUSTANG IN EVERY RACE WE DID 40 ROLE,30 ROLE,60 ROLE AND 90 ROLE. The year was one of the 05 or 06. I have a auto and now I am regretting buying this car all though I couldnt find a standard with under 100k miles for 10k or less. What can I do to not let this happen again?
Something is off, because I literally pick on 2018 V6 Mustangs for fun, and with just a few bolt-ons I was neck and neck with a 2018 GT V8 until 90+ MPH where he slowly walked away from me. And that's a brand new GT Coyote V8, and all I have are headers, intake manifold, throttle body and an air lid. So the LS1 and F-Body should NOT be losing to a V6 from that generation like that at all.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Teching In

You got any pics of your ride?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ill have to do that but I dont really feel a power loss.
You mentioned this was your first LS1 car. So you might not even realize how much power you're missing.

Assuming this isn't a traction related issue (which is doubtful from those high speed rolls with a stock LS1), if your LS1 F-body is losing races to a car that makes only 210hp and weights only about ~100lbs less, you're definitely experiencing power loss (or that Mustang has an N2O kit, turbo, etc.)

There is really no question here. There should be a ~140hp gap between the two of you, that's huge. You are either down on power and/or he's got something you don't know about.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You got any pics of your ride?
Sure, brother. Purple is my late wife's color, so we originally bought the car with the purple trim done from the last owner for that reason. We started the wire loom to go with that and the theme of the car, and then after her tragic passing I continued that and with the floor lights in her honor.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Not sure if this is a Troll post but ill bite..... You sure this was in fact a V6 and not a 3v I could see a bolt on 3v giving a bone stock ls1 a decent run although I would see the ls1 pulling away up top. You sure this trans am in fact has an LS1 and not a 5.3 swapped into it?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Omg man love what you did with the car you just gotta swap them rims out and thats the cleanest engine ive ever seen on one of these lmao. What intake is that?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean to tell me this guy got all these mods with a fast intake 92 mm and he gets beat by a v6 mustang ? Will sir either 2 things you either you can’t drive with of dam or there is something really wrong with your car if your getting beat by v6 mustangs then you should get rid of your car and get out of the race ig game and start driving a normal car . I can see if the other guy had a Shelby gt 500 or something different story but a v6 my god I would be so embarrassed
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 ss
You mean to tell me this guy got all these mods with a fast intake 92 mm and he gets beat by a v6 mustang ? Will sir either 2 things you either you can’t drive with of dam or there is something really wrong with your car if your getting beat by v6 mustangs then you should get rid of your car and get out of the race ig game and start driving a normal car . I can see if the other guy had a Shelby gt 500 or something different story but a v6 my god I would be so embarrassed
Wrong guy.. the fast intake purple Pontiac is another user.. go back and read it again.

As for v6 mustangs, I can easily kill stock 5.0 coyote mustangs. And I think my car is a slow turd right now compared to what it should be, so OP yours is definitely wrong somehow.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 ss
I never said I had that my car is bone stock
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never said I had that my car is bone stock
oh ok I thought that was your ride my bad . But still you should of beat that v6 mustang by a mile
Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Teching In

How do you know it was a v6 Mustang? Because he told you?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Omg man love what you did with the car you just gotta swap them rims out and thats the cleanest engine ive ever seen on one of these lmao. What intake is that?
It's the FAST LSx 92mm intake. That means a lot, although I'm 100% sure there are guys on here with way cleaner cars (that do like car shows and stuff), but I try to take care of her. The front rims are from the V6 Firebird that belonged to my late wife and I, and the back ones are the stock WS6 ones. Not a huge difference in size (I think 17 to 16?), but the front WS6 ones got cracked when I spun out in the stupid rain, and I already had another Firebird so I figured I'd just borrow from that one. lol
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xxBLOOD88SHOTxx
How do you know it was a v6 Mustang? Because he told you?
My guess was badging? A horse vs. GT vs. a snake vs. ROUSH etc.

But I guess anybody could swap engines or badges.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

When I first got my LS1 it seemed fine even though it would occasionally throw a check engine light. I yanked out the k&n that didn't allow the lid to close right, cleaned the oil from the maf, changed the egr plug that was disintegrating, yanked the valve cover breather, changed the plugs, replaced the stretched out throttle cable and changed the front O2's. Between removing the powerblock tv parts and doing basic maintenance the engine picked up a considerable amount of power and throttle response. I'm betting you're in the same place I was.