Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking sound! need some info!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking sound! need some info!!

my engine started to make a ticking sound at idle. i changed and check the plugs and wires (NGK plugs and MSD wires), they were ok. is it a piston slap? i let the engine warm up then drive around for a while and the ticking sound from engine still ticking. the ticking sound start when i start the engine, and it never end ticking. it tick louder in D at idle than in Neutral or Park. and it seem to come from around the engine.

car info.: 2002 camaro Z28, LS1 engine at 18,000 miles. automatic.

is it some thing wrong to the internal?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

could be bent pushrod(s). could be the AIR check-valves fluttering. could be a loose rocker arm. could be a leaking exhaust manifold.

Those are what I would check.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VietRacingGuy
my engine started to make a ticking sound at idle. i changed and check the plugs and wires (NGK plugs and MSD wires), they were ok. is it a piston slap? i let the engine warm up then drive around for a while and the ticking sound from engine still ticking. the ticking sound start when i start the engine, and it never end ticking. it tick louder in D at idle than in Neutral or Park. and it seem to come from around the engine.

car info.: 2002 camaro Z28, LS1 engine at 18,000 miles. automatic.

is it some thing wrong to the internal?
i had the same problem, wasnt pushrod, want rockers, want a leak, thought i may have been a bad lifter but after the duals springs went in it would have colapsed, so im guessing only thing left is the check valves liike tony said. but i dont hear mine any more