Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering mixing with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power steering mixing with coolant

Okay, so not only do I have a coolant leak (as opposed to my original thought, blaming the shop), but I have that problem where the power steering bleeds in to the coolant. Is there a write up on how to rig the aftermarket cooler? Or is there a way to do it with no cooler at all? (Why do some V8s have it, but some don't? Do I really need one?) I need to do this before I fix the coolant leak and flush it (obviously.)

EDIT: Well, I guess the cooler is like $25, that's easy enough. But I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing. lol
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I had mentioned this possibility in your other thread, here's the link I was referring to which contains a comprehensive discussion covering the issue and various write-ups regarding replacement alternatives:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

Ultimately, you don't *need* to replace the cooler for most street applications, usually it can just be deleted. It wasn't even included as standard equipment on base V8 models until 2001 or '02. You can get a replacement radiator hose for an earlier base model (such as a '98-'99 Z28 or non-WS6 car) to delete and remove the unit. Depending on how you use the car (extreme heat, competitive road course/track use, etc.), you might want to consider an aftermarket air-to-fluid cooler as an alternative but, again, this won't be required for the majority of normal setups.

Years ago I deleted the stock cooler from my '02 Z28 (they became standard on all V8s by that year), and I posted comprehensive temperature testing results in that above link. I drove the car like that (cooler deleted, no aftermarket replacement installed) for years afterward and never had an issue with the pump (even with the bigger SS wheels/tires). My '98 Z28 never had a cooler (and also has bigger SS wheels/tires since 2004), and the original PS system is still in perfect working order. But neither car has ever been exposed to road course type conditions - that would be a different consideration.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you soooo much. You're always a big help.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did a stand alone cooler from Napa due to my high pressure hose exploding. I have my OEM power steering cooler radiator hose if your interested. It didn't have any problems when i redesigned my system.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hm, I appreciate the offer jaxcam02, but I just said **** it and got a little aftermarket one. Was a pretty easy job except that I got rained out in the middle of it last night lol. But for now everything is working great. Gonna see if the leak was from that or something else, but at least I've isolated the fluids and so far it's holding coolant.