LY6 OR L92 - need a little help - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 OR L92 - need a little help

Old 01-10-2019, 12:53 AM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 21
Default LY6 OR L92 - need a little help

So I got this engine a while back. Before I did a fair amount of research. And clearly I didn't do enough. Also the seller had no idea what he had. He had told me that then engine came from a 2010 chevy Express van with 100k miles (probably incorrect because he thought is was an LQ9, as did I at the time)

So heres my dilemma.

Is this an iron 6.0 LY6 like I'm hoping for or is this an aluminium 6.2 L92. Which I'll need to sell if that's the case, since I need an iron block for my booster application.

Heres what I know.

-The 823 heads came on the L92. As far as I searched I cant find what heads came on the LY6.

-it's a 4th gen. A few pictures attached to this at the end show the 6 pronged TPS sensor which came on the gen 4 and not the 8 pronged like in the gen 3.

-its a 6. Something. I squeezed my face down to see the casting number and can only see the 6 -_- the alternator mount is in the way.

-it's got a truck intake hence making me think it's an iron block.

-in 07 the escalades came with a 6.0 iron engine maybe with the 823 heads and I think this maybe that. Maybe.

-The timing chain again. Makes it a gen 4. How its configured according to the picture in the references.

---------
Here's what I dont know.

-Did the 6.0 LY6 ever come with 823 heads?

-Are thier any casting lines on the block that I can look for between aluminum and iron?

-Not sure is that other casting number on the block can be used to search what it is. It either says "8109" (which looks correct due to the "8" being right side up) or "6018".

-Everything looks like it was never taken apart so I dont think anyone would put 823 heads on an LY6 (if they didn't come standard that is)

-------------------

If any of you experts can shed some light that would be great. If it's not what I need. I'll sell it. But I'll probably have to disassemble the whole engine to really know what this thing is.

https://ibb.co/1ffm263
https://ibb.co/YLgHm3H
https://ibb.co/WHSD7DM
https://ibb.co/0cM5559
https://ibb.co/SKnTmx9
https://ibb.co/rc2Cmt2

hope you guys can lend a helping hand. Thanks for the time.

-Avatar O.

Last edited by fitelite240; 01-10-2019 at 01:02 AM.
fitelite240 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
  #2  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 508
Default

'07-'08 Caddy came with the L92 with 823 heads and the truck intake. The ly6 was in all the trucks and vans from '07-'10 and also had the 823 heads and truck intake.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​You can boost an aluminum block so don't assume one is great and the other isn't.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 PM
  #3  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
'07-'08 Caddy came with the L92 with 823 heads and the truck intake. The ly6 was in all the trucks and vans from '07-'10 and also had the 823 heads and truck intake.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​You can boost an aluminum block so don't assume one is great and the other isn't.

thanks man! I know you can boost the aluminum block but the iron block is just better since it's going to be a drift car with about 8-900 wheel.

I guess I'll just have to strip the block and weigh it. 100+ aluminum and 200+iron.
fitelite240 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 PM
  #4  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,863
Default

It's pretty easy to tell the difference of iron and aluminum. If you can't tell the difference you may want to rethink this build.
MY_2K_Z is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM
  #5  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,863
Default

Just looked at the pictures and it's definitely an aluminum block
MY_2K_Z is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM
  #6  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z View Post
Just looked at the pictures and it's definitely an aluminum block
If you dont mind giving me some insight. what makes it an aluminium block?
fitelite240 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM
  #7  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,175
Default

Originally Posted by fitelite240 View Post
If you dont mind giving me some insight. what makes it an aluminium block?
The first picture you posted shows bare aluminum where the water pump bolts up = That's the block!

Edit: It also looks like it say 6.2 in the casting.
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 PM
  #8  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,175
Default

Hmmm 3rd picture makes me wonder about the condition of the engine itself. That's a lot of corrosion for a newish engine. If the outside looks that bad I would be worried that inside has also been exposed to moisture.

What's the deal with the pictures??? After looking at them closer they aren't all the same engine?

Last edited by LLLosingit; 01-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM
  #9  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
Hmmm 3rd picture makes me wonder about the condition of the engine itself. That's a lot of corrosion for a newish engine. If the outside looks that bad I would be worried that inside has also been exposed to moisture.

What's the deal with the pictures??? After looking at them closer they aren't all the same engine?
So. I found what I was looking for and yes, it is a 6.0 with 823 heads which makes the iron block LY6. All this speculating was getting to me so I had to look at it myself again.

The engine itself from the past owner said it was storage kept. obviously, a lie since the Intake is corroded as well as all the rust on it. I'm going to be ripping this motor apart, building, acid dipping, honing, and boring the block anyway so I'm not too worried about the surface rust and corrosion.

To answer your question about the pictures. the first and last picture
(these two)
https://ibb.co/rc2Cmt2
https://ibb.co/1ffm263

(the photo that says 6.2, I deleted since it served no purpose for reference)

were reference pictures of what an LY6 looks like from the front (or what I thought from the photos). The angles of the block with the casting numbers were of my engine.

Now. Here is the picture of the casting number. it was tight to see but got what I needed. --- https://ibb.co/V9zjmhN ---

I also saw that the heads (being aluminum) had water spots but no real rust, rust at all, or corrosion which made me think. "hmph. why is the block rusted if the guy said "its definitely aluminum", well you guessed it. because its iron, and irons rusts.

I guess its like you said, "If you can't tell the difference you may want to rethink this build". You may need to rethink your build(s) if you ever have/had any MY_2K_Z
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY - to make this useful to someone else. here you go.

For the newbies out there from the newbie writing this:

-If your block directly has rust on the surface or rust in general. it's probably iron

-823 heads came on the L92 and LY6 but be sure to check your casting number to know what you have. 6.0 iron. 6.2. aluminum

--- https://ibb.co/WF4Ztwj --- This is a link to a picture of where you can potentially see the casting number without taking apart the engine, get 3 flashlights and get some light in there. Get some friends to help you move the block around to where you can get a good look and see if it says 6.0 or 6.2

-The angle is right above the power steering reservoir in a small crack. like I said, get a good amount of light you'll need it to read it clearly. If its aluminum don't be alarmed as bammax said. Alumnimum can be boosted. Just go about it differently (BTW thanks bammax). My application warrants an iron block to be pushed to 800-900rwhp consistently as a performance car.

----Last notes to the other new guys----

I don't know 100% what I'm doing, but I'm glad I didn't listen to guys like MY_2K_Z and LLLosingit. I almost put the motor up for sale because of guys like them. DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST about EVERYTHING of the motor you want. literally, google search "How to identify a (insert engine code here)". That way you're not worrying about what you have later as I did, I just happen to luck out...HARD. Don't get fucked in the end.

If anything, send me a PM if you need some help, it goes to my email which I check daily (even if your reading this is years later I'll still have this e-mail so send away). I'll be glad to help you out to the best of my ability without the belittleing. If anything I can use some expert LS shops here locally to get some answers If I don't know. The forums should be a place to help not bash. But that's just my 2 cents.

Good Luck
fitelite240 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 AM
  #10  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (16)
 
01FormulaTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: H-town
Posts: 1,216
Default

All LY6 and L92 have 823 heads...LY6 and L92 also use the same intake manifold....if you canít tell the difference between iron and aluminum (aluminum is silver, iron block is painted black but may have some rust) then the size of the engine is printed on the front left side of the block if you remove the water pump (6 bolts)



01FormulaTA is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 AM
  #11  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (16)
 
01FormulaTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: H-town
Posts: 1,216
Default

Iron




Aluminum


01FormulaTA is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 AM
  #12  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Che70velle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Posts: 1,670
Default

And if everything is so corroded that you can’t tell with a visual inspection, a magnet will give the answer quickly, since iron is magnetic, and aluminum isn’t.
Che70velle is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 PM
  #13  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 508
Default

I never understood why people think aluminum is bad with boost. The heads deal with most of the boost issues and they're aluminum. To make the internals reliable they get replaced by forged aluminum. The part of the block in contact with the piston rings is a hardened liner that has essentially the same properties as the iron block. There's really nothing inherently wrong with aluminum other than the initial cost.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 PM
  #14  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,175
Default

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
I never understood why people think aluminum is bad with boost. The heads deal with most of the boost issues and they're aluminum. To make the internals reliable they get replaced by forged aluminum. The part of the block in contact with the piston rings is a hardened liner that has essentially the same properties as the iron block. There's really nothing inherently wrong with aluminum other than the initial cost.
It's not the amount of boost it's the flex in the block in high HP applications.
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
  #15  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,863
Default

Originally Posted by fitelite240
So. I found what I was looking for and yes, it is a 6.0 with 823 heads which makes the iron block LY6. All this speculating was getting to me so I had to look at it myself again.

The engine itself from the past owner said it was storage kept. obviously, a lie since the Intake is corroded as well as all the rust on it. I'm going to be ripping this motor apart, building, acid dipping, honing, and boring the block anyway so I'm not too worried about the surface rust and corrosion.

To answer your question about the pictures. the first and last picture
(these two)
https://ibb.co/rc2Cmt2
https://ibb.co/1ffm263

(the photo that says 6.2, I deleted since it served no purpose for reference)

were reference pictures of what an LY6 looks like from the front (or what I thought from the photos). The angles of the block with the casting numbers were of my engine.

Now. Here is the picture of the casting number. it was tight to see but got what I needed. --- https://ibb.co/V9zjmhN ---

I also saw that the heads (being aluminum) had water spots but no real rust, rust at all, or corrosion which made me think. "hmph. why is the block rusted if the guy said "its definitely aluminum", well you guessed it. because its iron, and irons rusts.

I guess its like you said, "If you can't tell the difference you may want to rethink this build". You may need to rethink your build(s) if you ever have/had any MY_2K_Z
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY - to make this useful to someone else. here you go.

For the newbies out there from the newbie writing this:

-If your block directly has rust on the surface or rust in general. it's probably iron

-823 heads came on the L92 and LY6 but be sure to check your casting number to know what you have. 6.0 iron. 6.2. aluminum

--- https://ibb.co/WF4Ztwj --- This is a link to a picture of where you can potentially see the casting number without taking apart the engine, get 3 flashlights and get some light in there. Get some friends to help you move the block around to where you can get a good look and see if it says 6.0 or 6.2

-The angle is right above the power steering reservoir in a small crack. like I said, get a good amount of light you'll need it to read it clearly. If its aluminum don't be alarmed as bammax said. Alumnimum can be boosted. Just go about it differently (BTW thanks bammax). My application warrants an iron block to be pushed to 800-900rwhp consistently as a performance car.

----Last notes to the other new guys----

I don't know 100% what I'm doing, but I'm glad I didn't listen to guys like MY_2K_Z and LLLosingit. I almost put the motor up for sale because of guys like them. DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST about EVERYTHING of the motor you want. literally, google search "How to identify a (insert engine code here)". That way you're not worrying about what you have later as I did, I just happen to luck out...HARD. Don't get fucked in the end.

If anything, send me a PM if you need some help, it goes to my email which I check daily (even if your reading this is years later I'll still have this e-mail so send away). I'll be glad to help you out to the best of my ability without the belittleing. If anything I can use some expert LS shops here locally to get some answers If I don't know. The forums should be a place to help not bash. But that's just my 2 cents.

Good Luck
The picture you posted was an aluminum block 6.2 so not sure how I was wrong in any way. And. FYI I have an ly6 in my car so I know exactly what one looks like. I'm sorry you posted the wrong pictures so you got bad info but we can only do so much with what we are given to go off of.
MY_2K_Z is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 PM
  #16  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 508
Default

Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
It's not the amount of boost it's the flex in the block in high HP applications.
I get that it can flex, but old iron blocks can see the same issues. People point out aluminum being more likely to flex but then don't think twice about things like core shift when overboring iron blocks. Building 1k hp max effort engines shouldn't come down to just block material when so many different things can be the kiss of death.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM
  #17  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,175
Default

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
I get that it can flex, but old iron blocks can see the same issues. People point out aluminum being more likely to flex but then don't think twice about things like core shift when overboring iron blocks. Building 1k hp max effort engines shouldn't come down to just block material when so many different things can be the kiss of death.
Actually used "seasoned" blocks are preferred rather than new/newer because they are more stable.
But it depends on the block.

New vs. “Seasoned” Blocks
It used to be that no self-respecting performance enthusiast would consider using a new block. This
wasn’t simply a matter of money. New blocks just didn’t make as much power as well seasoned used
blocks. Engine blocks, like football quarterbacks, get better with age. In the case of a block casting,
countless cycles of heating up and cooling down help to “season” the metal. When a block is first
cast and then machined on the assembly line, it develops internal stresses. The heating/cooling
cycle allows these stresses to “relax,” until finally the block becomes dimensionally stable. In the
opinion of many top ranked racers, an engine does not achieve maximum power output until it has
been honed three or four times; it takes that long for the cylinder bores to settle down and hold the
perfectly round shape that promotes a “tight” ring seal.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 01-11-2019 at 11:12 PM.
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 AM
  #18  
TECH Resident
 
bigbomber5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 757
Default

Good info, that's pretty interesting
bigbomber5 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 AM
  #19  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 508
Default

I grew up around seasoned blocks and hoping there wasn't core shift if you bored. Back in the day that was standard on those iron blocks. The only thing you could trust was a block that had some miles on it since it proved it was solid. It's like how the old 60s/70s motors had a rule about keeping track of exactly what part came from where because they tended to wear in together and swapping them to a new spot on reassembly would cause all kinds of issues. With the new materials and technology that all seems to be a thing of the past. Explaining wear patterns on a non-roller rocker is almost as hard now as explaining how to file points lol
bammax is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 PM
  #20  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z View Post
It's pretty easy to tell the difference of iron and aluminum. If you can't tell the difference you may want to rethink this build.
Agreed.
sheza65 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: