What else do i need to get the best power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else do i need to get the best power

Right now its a 99 trans am
stock heads
tsp 1-3/4 longtube headers no cats with ory pipe into gibson muffler (id like to remove muffker and straight pipe it)
has slp lid
ls6 intake

do i leave the stock (241) heads alone or port them or what would work better (ls2/ls6 or ls7)??

Looking to swap out ls6 intake with fast 90 intake with edelbrock 90mm throttle body w/ ls6 fuel rails and injectors ( is that even worth it?)

next is what kind of cam , was thinking TSP ms4 cam but im hearing the ms3 somehow makes more power
probably gonna get the kit with ls2 timing chain or is ls6/ls7 chain better idea , its been 9 years since i had a ls1 and things changed so not a newbie but kind of am

has 2.73 gears that i want to change to 4.10 but its factory 10 bolt , should i get a 12 bolt or will the 10 hold up (its automatic car) should i put 3000 or 3200 or 3800 torque convertor stall ?? Opinions welcome

also unfamiliar with what lifters/rockers to get so this thing dont blow bearings and tear up motor

down the road i wanna Twin turbo or supercharge the car , any ideas (cost effective im not rich) to achieve some good power - 500/650hp or am i just dreaming with that parts list

also will 4L60E trans hold up or do i need to upgrade factory trans or go with a stage 2 or 3 trans ??

all opinions welcome , if i sound like a idiot its cuz i got a 99 t/a when i was 17, sold it at 24 and regretted it everyday ... im 35 and tracked my excat VIN# T/A to kentucky and am extatic to start the build with my original car , it means alot to me cuz my mom bought it for me @ 17 and for 18 yrs ive been talked **** to about this car till i found it

i want it to be a anytime driver that wont get smoked but a 392 scat pack , hellcat, camaros or these new high hp crazy factory 2015/19 cars rolling around

any info or help is much appreciated , thanks all you
LS gurus💯 Whats my best bang for the buck build??
Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAzz99TransAm
stock heads
tsp 1-3/4 longtube headers no cats with ory pipe into gibson muffler (id like to remove muffker and straight pipe it)
has slp lid
ls6 intake

Don't remove the muffler, LS fbodys sound like **** straight piped

do i leave the stock (241) heads alone or port them or what would work better (ls2/ls6 or ls7)??

243 or 799 castings, have them milled a little bit to bump the compression,.

Looking to swap out ls6 intake with fast 90 intake with edelbrock 90mm throttle body w/ ls6 fuel rails and injectors ( is that even worth it?)

Yes is it worth it, you will pickup some decent power.
Don't get a crap Chinese throttle body though, WARR performance is decently priced and American made.

next is what kind of cam , was thinking TSP ms4 cam but im hearing the ms3 somehow makes more power
probably gonna get the kit with ls2 timing chain or is ls6/ls7 chain better idea , its been 9 years since i had a ls1 and things changed so not a newbie but kind of am

Call and get a custom grind, you don't need a huge cam to make good power.

has 2.73 gears that i want to change to 4.10 but its factory 10 bolt , should i get a 12 bolt or will the 10 hold up (its automatic car) should i put 3000 or 3200 or 3800 torque convertor stall ?? Opinions welcome

12 bolt

also unfamiliar with what lifters/rockers to get so this thing dont blow bearings and tear up motor

Upgrade the rocker arms with trunnion bearings. I would also recommend link bar lifters. My lifter **** the needle bearings and then spun in the bore.

down the road i wanna Twin turbo or supercharge the car , any ideas (cost effective im not rich) to achieve some good power - 500/650hp or am i just dreaming with that parts list

N/A build and boost build are two different things, I would hop up the current motor N/A with plans on doing a complete new engine build in the future for boost....or just build it than spray what you have already...

also will 4L60E trans hold up or do i need to upgrade factory trans or go with a stage 2 or 3 trans ??

Im a t56 guy so I couldn't tell you.

all opinions welcome , if i sound like a idiot its cuz i got a 99 t/a when i was 17, sold it at 24 and regretted it everyday ... im 35 and tracked my excat VIN# T/A to kentucky and am extatic to start the build with my original car , it means alot to me cuz my mom bought it for me @ 17 and for 18 yrs ive been talked **** to about this car till i found it

Its cool that you were able to find you old car and get it back.

i want it to be a anytime driver that wont get smoked but a 392 scat pack , hellcat, camaros or these new high hp crazy factory 2015/19 cars rolling around

Good luck with that, I've found over the years that I could care less if I have the fastest car and focused more on enjoying the car for what I like to do with it. (Weekend cruises, and twisty roads)

Good luck.

Last edited by Mgill; 04-05-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

If you're looking at cams like that and want them to perform as they should you will need to be prepared to spin it high.

And you will need much more than a 3000 stall if you want it to be optimal. 4000+

If the transmission is reasonably healthy it will last a bit as is but higher than stock rpms will make quick work of the 3-4 clutch pack on stock units. Clutch pack clearances need tightened up, stiffer springs in the 3-4 piston spring cage, pump mods, tune ect.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Spend the money on heads, either port your 241 heads or buy of set of heads that flow. Get the 4.10s installed, tires, and weight reduction. Hellcats will be tough to beat, the other cars are well within reach. I have similar plans for my '01 to beat the current crop of cars minus Hellcats.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgill
Don't remove the muffler, LS fbodys sound like **** straight piped
No. Wrong. Straight piped longtube LS fbody's sound ******* amazing.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAzz99TransAm
stock heads
has slp lid
ls6 intake

You don't want to go with a MS3 or MS4 if you're planning to boost in the future. Look at getting a custom grind. Also, the 4l60e can't hold power for long past 400rwhp. As others have said, figure out if you want to stay NA, or if you're going to boost they are 2 different builds.