Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor location

I used a donor 5.3L from a 2007 Silverado. The block was shot but JEGS had new iron blocks that I could use with minimal work. I used many of the parts from the donor engine and put together an engine that I hope would have good performance with rock solid reliability for my truck project. Over the next year or so I installed the engine and started to connect the wiring harness and this is where the flaws in my plan began to show. The donor engine had the block mounted knock sensors(KS). I had a block mounting pad for the KS on the driver's side of the engine but no apparent mounting location on the block on the passenger side. Now this is where the newbie questions come in: What are my options? Does this KS have to be mounted on the block? I assume both KS's would have to be used. I would appreciate any ideas and thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Both sides should be drilled and taped for the KS.I would call Jegs if it isn't Gen 3's are mounted under the lifter cover but won't work easily if it it Displacement on demand or VVT. They must be mounted to the block.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks cookseyb! I'm old-school and have had to relearn everything when I jumped into the LS pool. The ECM and wiring harness that I have is from a well-known provider and was build for this engine configuration which is NOT "displacement on demand" or VVT. It has provisions for two block mounted knock sensors (KS's). The iron block that I have has a mounting boss for a KS on one side. This is where my KS journey begins and what I "think" I have learned that may help someone else. The KS's purpose is to sample and compare the resonance frequancy between the two KS's of combustion within the block to detect pinging (knock). If pinging occurs the resonance frequency will change or spike and the ECM will electronically change the spark timing to cause it to stop. That is my understanding of how that works. Now, it would "seem" logical to me the location of the two KS's on each side of the block should be approximately the same for the sensors to be effective and to work without error codes. As it turns out, on my iron block, I have a similar mounting boss on the opposide side of the block that I can drill and tap for the remaining KS. Anyway, that is what I think I know about how the KS's will help manage my engine. I may find that I am completely wrong when I actually start it. I hope this helps someone else and if I am wrong or I have made incorrect assumptions, please jump in a let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...5#.XKeNEXdFyUk

This is the adapter harness you will need, both sensors have to be installed.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRascal
Thanks cookseyb! I'm old-school and have had to relearn everything when I jumped into the LS pool. The ECM and wiring harness that I have is from a well-known provider and was build for this engine configuration which is NOT "displacement on demand" or VVT. It has provisions for two block mounted knock sensors (KS's). The iron block that I have has a mounting boss for a KS on one side. This is where my KS journey begins and what I "think" I have learned that may help someone else. The KS's purpose is to sample and compare the resonance frequancy between the two KS's of combustion within the block to detect pinging (knock). If pinging occurs the resonance frequency will change or spike and the ECM will electronically change the spark timing to cause it to stop. That is my understanding of how that works. Now, it would "seem" logical to me the location of the two KS's on each side of the block should be approximately the same for the sensors to be effective and to work without error codes. As it turns out, on my iron block, I have a similar mounting boss on the opposide side of the block that I can drill and tap for the remaining KS. Anyway, that is what I think I know about how the KS's will help manage my engine. I may find that I am completely wrong when I actually start it. I hope this helps someone else and if I am wrong or I have made incorrect assumptions, please jump in a let me know. Thanks!
I think you got it! They actually pull timing when they sense knock and your engine will run like ****. I think they drill into the water jacket so make sure they have the good sealant on them. Good Luck