Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsa blower on used ly6

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lsa blower on used ly6

I know its not ideal but can you safely run an LSA blower on a ly6 without doing rebuilding the bottom end? I guess I'm concerned mostly with the ring gap and rod bolts.. motor has 130k on it and runs great as is. It will be a dd with a blower cam and blower. Am I asking for trouble?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Rod bolts have never once been an issue on gen 4 engines, ever. I wish that myth would die.

I wouldn't worry about ring gaps with mild boost. If E85 is available, crank up the boost. Otherwise, meth injection goes a long way.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 604 Likes on 480 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

make sure u spring it correctly with those heavy intake valves
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Short answer, yes you can run an LSA blower on an LY6 without "needing" to forge the pistons or opening ring gap. However you won't be able to push it as hard as a CTSV or ZR1 since they do come with the safety net of forged slugs. Ring gap on a 130k mile motor should hold up to 500-600hp reliably... IMO.

Be aware, detonation can kill ANY motor and hyper pistons cannot take the same beating as forged. Meth injection or E85 drastically reduces chances of detonation. If you run gasoline a water/methanol injection kit will allow more timing and adds fuel to make the vehicles system work less. You can also run distilled water injection for a safety net to keep IAT in control. With E85 from the pump I always recommend a true flex fuel setup with the ethanol sensor and an experienced tuner. Ethanol doesn't ignite well with water so don't mix them up.

For reference, I'm getting ready to boost a 260k+ mile LY6 this spring without much prep work. Plan is to pull the heads for internal inspection and replace the head gaskets for my own peace of mind. If everything looks good I'll clean it up and slap it back together. Same plan if/when I boost my 237k mile gen4 5.3. Got a shiny procharger sitting on standby in the garage for one or the other. Which one gets procharged vs turbo will be a coin toss.

Quick Reply: lsa blower on used ly6