Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help...big leak in my interior

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy please help...big leak in my interior

i posted this here because i figured it would get more views. water has been collecting to the right of the catalytic converter hump in the passenger floorboard of my car. i've seen it trickle down from underneath the very bottom of the dash, where it meets the carpet. it seems like it's just water, no dex-cool in it. it's been raining A LOT here in the past weeks, and the problem is getting worse. after a downpour the carpet is just saturated in that spot. can anybody give me any assistance with this? i asked some gearhead buddies, but nobody seems to have any real knowledge of what's going on, other than i've got a big *** leak. thanks for any help.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:16 AM
Teching In

There are vents outside your car at the bottom of the windshield at the back of the hood, this is where it sucks in air for your vents and A/C...If this fills up with water (The drain hole in your heater core may be pluged) it could leak into your car. Take the piece of plastic off under the dash on the passenger side and you will see the heater core and where your leak is. I'm pretty sure this is where it could be comming from.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your weep hope in your AC condensor could be clogged.

Your weatherstripping could be shot. Does water get inside when you take your car in the car wash?
Old 07-30-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TrackBurger
There are vents outside your car at the bottom of the windshield at the back of the hood, this is where it sucks in air for your vents and A/C...If this fills up with water (The drain hole in your heater core may be pluged) it could leak into your car. Take the piece of plastic off under the dash on the passenger side and you will see the heater core and where your leak is. I'm pretty sure this is where it could be comming from.

exactly how does that piece come off? it has some sort of rivet holding it doesn't it? i'm referring to the plastic panel underneath the glovebow area, where the carpet begins.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Your weep hope in your AC condensor could be clogged.

Your weatherstripping could be shot. Does water get inside when you take your car in the car wash?

only a little on the driver's side window, and that's in one of those high pressure, "touchless" car wash jobs.

so, can both of these culprits be accessed from under the dash? forgive me for sounding like a dummy, but isn't the AC condensor near the battery? or am i looking a pulling the dash out?

thanks for the quick replies fellows.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

it could be your windshield leaking, i had a problem similar to yours and it ended up being that. i wouldnt imagne a 2000 model having a leaky windshield but you never know.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I believe it's the grommet in the firewall. Every year I have to clean leaves from gathering around the grommet otherwise water pools up and the result is a wet passenger floor.

To get at the grommet you need to remove the PCM assembly from under the hood. It can be a pain in the *** but you can't get to it otherwise. Once you remove the PCM you will see the rubber grommet and you may notice that either it's not seated properly or debris collected around it.

A word of caution, when putting the PCM back, make sure you don't over-torque the bolts that connect the wire assembly! I think your supposed to use something like 18 ft-lbs but I don't remember.