Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick Tick Tick Tick...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Tick Tick Tick...........

Yesterday I put in a set of NGK TR55's, well next day I start it up and it sounds like I have a exhaust leak, it just ticks. I replaced the drivers side AIR gasket figuring thats where it was coming from, nope. The new gasket is on and it still makes the same noise............anyone have any ideas, listening from the top of the engine it sounds as if its from the drivers side but I dont really know what else to look for.........
Old 08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlakeLS1
Yesterday I put in a set of NGK TR55's, well next day I start it up and it sounds like I have a exhaust leak, it just ticks. I replaced the drivers side AIR gasket figuring thats where it was coming from, nope. The new gasket is on and it still makes the same noise............anyone have any ideas, listening from the top of the engine it sounds as if its from the drivers side but I dont really know what else to look for.........
You just changed plugs..
-- Check to make sure all the plugs are tight...
-- Check to make sure that you don't have a loose plug wire

Those are the first things that come to mind..
Old 08-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Teching In

can those cause ticking?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

take a stetos cope or what ever is called and listen to the engine or just grab a pry bar with a rubber handle put the metal piece on the engine and the rubber part to your ear and listen around.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you have loose plugs. Hopefully not cross threaded To play it safe i'd back them all out and back in to make sure they are all seated properly
Old 08-03-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the gapping while you have them out. Too small of a gap will cause ticking.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Its not a loose plug ... you tightened those pretty good ....

an plus when you started up I could smell exhaust fumes coming around the area of the A.I.R. unit ..

check your air unit.... you were throwing codes on the AIR unit ...
you could take off the air unit and see if it holds air or if indeed you have a leak...

if it wasnt soo damn hot outside ide say drive to my house and we can figure it out.... but then your engine is gunna be flippin hot ...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Teching In

The AIR tube doesn't seem to have any cracks or holes in it. I dont see how a spark plug would be stripped out or anything because they all went in very easy........I don't really wana take it to the dealer but its looking that way because I don't have access to alot of tools here at home. And I don't wana just go replacing different things that may not even fix my problem. But this probablem definately did start after the plug swap so whether i hit something like the air tube with my arm or whatever something is causing a exhaust leak type sound......any more help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Launching!

could be AIR gaskets..but you said you already replaced em....I would remove all plugs, and re-install..and make sure all the wires are snug.