New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car bit the dust I need help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car bit the dust I need help ASAP.

Well today I had to take the day off to go to the dentist. My dad was using my Dodge Ram whitch is my daily driver. So I had to use my Z28 to go to the dentist. When I drove to the dentist in the morning it had started raining. While I was at the dentist it started raining harder. When I got out from getting my teeth checked it was pouring. When I got on this road that is the main road to my house the road was really flooded. When I got to a low spot the car stalled. I had trouble getting it started, when it started the engine was knocking and the shifter was vibrating bad. So I moved it out of traffic and pulled to the side the road. I noticed that the gauge gad no oil pressure. I drove the car about half a mile to my house because the whole time it was pouring. And had no way of getting home. When I got the car to my house I checked the oil and it had none. I thought maybe it stalled because the engine got wet but it also lost all the oil. What could of happen.

Last edited by 2_wacko; 09-02-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Sucked up water, hydrolocked, nice hole created in side of motor, oil poored out?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you for real.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Damn i hope its not hydro locked,Best of luck to you man.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Are you for real.

Well, considering you drove it another 1/2 mile, I would say no to it being hydrolocked. A waterlogged motor usually would not make it that far, especially without oil before seizing up.

On the other hand (you have five fingers), I mean if you checked the oil and there is no oil to be found, it had to go somewhere. A hole in your block would create this situation.

I guess there is the small chance that the block cracked leaving enough oil in to get it home and then slowly leaked out afterwards.

How much later did you check the oil?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

how deep was the water you drove thru?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I could not really tell put it came up to the door. I checked the oil right after I parked it.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

My motor blew the rear main seal this weekend. Now in my case it was dry as **** outside...and the oil went all over my undercarriage. So it was pretty obvious where it went. But if there's no oil in your car, and your oil filter is still there, and your oil pan is still there(w/o any holes in it), and your oil drain plug is still in there all the way, then maybe you blew your main seal as well. You would lose all the oil in the car that way.

I would fill your block back up with oil, watch for leaks. If you can't see any after a good 5-10 minutes, check the oil, if the level is normal, start her up. Watch for leaks. Then check the oil level, see if you're loosing any. That will at least tell you something. My car only really looses oil when running, so thats why I say to start her. As long as you know she has oil in her, and pay attention, you're not going to kill her.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

If a car stalls from hydrolock you should never try to drive it right away. It usually will cause worse damage. A 1/2 mile is a long way with little or no oil. Anyway, it happened to me a long time ago with a different car and I was fortunate enough to have no damage (but I still had some oil).

First, check for obvious leaks after filling the oil back up (do not start it yet) and change the oil filter while you're at it. Second, check the air filter because you probably ingested water through the intake. Also check the MAF and clean it. Then, remove all of the spark plugs and check the condition. Remove the ffuel pump fuse and "bump" the motor over with the plugs removed. All kinds of gook will probably shoot out. Clean the plug holes, put new plugs in, put a new air filter, bolt every thing back up and then try it. If you lost that much oil, you could have caused serious damage.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your car?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:18 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a buddy of mine just got a new motor in his gt mustang. he hit some water and it broke a rod.