Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR removal LS1 options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR removal LS1 options?

I have been kicking around the idea of removing my EGR system from my 2000 Z28. I want to make some extra room under the hood & it makes it easier to change spark plugs. Taking it off will be a snap I know. But what will happen once it’s gone? I have been reading search archives about it. I gather that it will throw the SES light on. I don’t have LS1 edit so I can’t delete the EGR system from the computer. Is there anything else that will happen (bad) if I remove the system?

And this is just a thought. What exactly will make that SES light comes on? What sensor is going to recognize that it’s gone and make the light come on? Maybe there is a way to trick the computer to think that it’s all still there?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove mine around for about 5 months without the egr on & couldn't tell a bit of difference other than the constant SES light.... The ECM runs a check on all the electrical components on start up & if the egr is not hooked up the ecm will reconize it & throw a code... To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get rid of the code is to have it deleted via edit or tunners, no other way around.

Mike.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MM98
I drove mine around for about 5 months without the egr on & couldn't tell a bit of difference other than the constant SES light.... The ECM runs a check on all the electrical components on start up & if the egr is not hooked up the ecm will reconize it & throw a code... To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get rid of the code is to have it deleted via edit or tunners, no other way around.

Mike.

Do you think the check is just to see if the air pump is hooked up?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The egr & air are two different things... The egr shoots exhaust gas into the manifold to help cool combustion temps & the air pump throws fresh air to the o2s on start up... The ecm runs a test on every electrical device on your car to make sure it's in working order, if something not plugged in then it's going to throw a code... Like I said, I ran mine without both for a while with no problems at all.

Last edited by MM98; 09-01-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

ok
Old 09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more thing, if you plan on pulling the air system off too, make sure you pull the air-pump fuse as well... Good luck with your mods.

Mike.