Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Questions ....... Vette VS F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Insurance Questions ....... Vette VS F-body

Hey Guys Im a 20 year old from California who is getting an F-Body within the next couples of weeks.While searching on Autotrader.com, I came across a couple of 97-98s Vettes and they were going for like 21K with a right amount of miles,around 50K.This made me think, Well, Im 20, No family, Just a Girlfriend, always liked Vettes,etc.... Im thinking if there is alot of Difference in insurance between a Vette and a Camaro SS or a WS6 or Firehawk.....

Another thing, There is a 2000 Black Firehawk in interested in these Forums, When you get insurance, Do you call the insurance company and tell them you have a 2000 Firehawk or you just tell them a 2000 Trans Am???

I would like to hear Insurance quotes from 20 year old with about 1 1/2 of having a Driver License if its posible...

Thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Dude, PM me,I work for Eastwood Insurance and Ill give you quotes on both cars.
By the way, Trans Am and Firehawk make no difference when it comes to price.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmantravis
Dude, PM me,I work for Eastwood Insurance and Ill give you quotes on both cars.
By the way, Trans Am and Firehawk make no difference when it comes to price.
Insurance companies and financial institutions could care less if it's a WS6/SS/Firehawk. According to them (at least when I was searching), they don't even know what those models are.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people find C5s cost the same or even less than their f-bodies.

Mine only went up by $20 per month, but only because my insurance agent changed the status of my driving patterns (it originally listed me as using my old Firebird as pleasure driven only, while I really was using it daily, so the C5 is now listed this way)

The C5 is in a lower risk category than the f-body, believe it or not.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Patman
The C5 is in a lower risk category than the f-body, believe it or not.
...due to the Insurance companies stereotyping the "typical" Corvette driver - old farts. Hell, I wanna be labeled an old fart, just can't get rid of these damn Buicks fast enough!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you tell the insurance company the vin number. the good thing about SS camaros is that the vin just brings up Z28. i have state farm, and they do know all the performance options, SS,WS6,firehawk,ect. i ended up with a Z28, but i quoted for both 02 Z and SS, and the SS was gonna cost me an extra $38 a month. what im trying to say, if you get an SS just tell them the vin number,and if they ask like mine did, just tell them its a Z28. im not sure if Ws6 or firehawks come up in the vin, but thats what really matters.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Damn. The lady at my State Farm office asked if it was the "Ram Air", and I said yeah. So you're saying that if I woulda say "just a Trans Am as far as I know", that insurance woulda been cheaper????
Old 09-02-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think so. but then again, if you get into an accident, and your hood gets all f#cked up...they won't get you a ram air hood unless you're listed as a ran air car. see the problem there? thats why i love state farm. they will insure just about every damn thing on your car...even if its not supposed to be there. when i owned my formula ws6, i got rear ended, and they paid to get a trans am rear end put on cuz i asked for it. it cost the same, so they didn't care that the part number was different. looked awesome to have the t/a rear bumper on a ws6 formula too.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
...due to the Insurance companies stereotyping the "typical" Corvette driver - old farts.
That's the truth. I've heard of Vette insurance being cheaper than V8 f-body insurance b/c most people that own Vettes don't pose serious threats to other drivers. Insurance for Mustang GT's and V8 f-bodies is high b/c look who mostly drives them: irresponsible teens who can't control power + RWD.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
^ Damn. The lady at my State Farm office asked if it was the "Ram Air"
I forgot State Farm does take into account the "ram air". I think the one bank I went to also asked if a car I was looking at was "ram air", but I think it's only the Firebird that they'd ask that.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, if you go with State Farm just tell them it's a base model. I have them and they were the cheapest I could find. I'm 21 with a somewhat clean record and pay about $1,500 a year for the Camaro. However, I have 3 vehicles insured with them so I get it alittle cheaper (I think it was $2,200 before).

BTW: If you start a little life insurance policy with them ($10 a month for me) they will give you an automatic 10% or 15% your car insurance because you have more than 1 account wiht them.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:08 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Good tip! That would pay for itself for most of us, plus you never can have too much insurance just in case.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

State Farm does not know about the Firehawk option. They do know about the WS6 as previously stated. The insurance on the Firehawk is cheaper because it's a formula rather than the TA WS6. It's about a $20/month difference if I remember right. They had no option for Firehawk in their computers. Just NHRA, Collectors Edition, and Ws6 from what I remember.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
you tell the insurance company the vin number. the good thing about SS camaros is that the vin just brings up Z28. i have state farm, and they do know all the performance options, SS,WS6,firehawk,ect. i ended up with a Z28, but i quoted for both 02 Z and SS, and the SS was gonna cost me an extra $38 a month. what im trying to say, if you get an SS just tell them the vin number,and if they ask like mine did, just tell them its a Z28. im not sure if Ws6 or firehawks come up in the vin, but thats what really matters.
Theres no literally power difference...so why should it cost any different?

IF im not mistaken the SS is a Z28 package ADDON correct?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
^ Damn. The lady at my State Farm office asked if it was the "Ram Air", and I said yeah. So you're saying that if I woulda say "just a Trans Am as far as I know", that insurance woulda been cheaper????
yep. and if you did get into an accident, so what. the claimsperson from your insurance will look at the car and have replaced what is there. i would almost guarantee the adjuster isnt gonna know the difference. its just like if you add a afmarket hood or something else to a TA or Z, my insurance company says they will replace what is there. get it back to the condition before accident.

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Theres no literally power difference...so why should it cost any different?

IF im not mistaken the SS is a Z28 package ADDON correct?
you are correct. they are all Z28s from fact., but the insurance companies know what SS are. maybe no "power" difference, but the SS is more sporty and flashy, and insurance companies like it when you bring em a big flashy shiny car! so yeah, you WILL pay more.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
you are correct. they are all Z28s from fact., but the insurance companies know what SS are. maybe no "power" difference, but the SS is more sporty and flashy, and insurance companies like it when you bring em a big flashy shiny car! so yeah, you WILL pay more.
Nationwide doesn't know what a SS is.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The insurance on the Firehawk is cheaper because it's a formula rather than the TA WS6.
Say what?

Check your info before making blanket statements like that.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Nationwide doesn't know what a SS is.
is that an insurance company? or are you just refering to across the country?

because State Farm does, Farmers Insurance Group does, and im almost sure Geico does. there are a few others that do too, that i got quotes from but didnt go with. so some of the largets NATIONWIDE companies do know, im sure some of the small piddly-dump companies dont, but you are crazy if you trust them.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Nationwide IS an insurance company. That's what he meant. I have State Farm and love it, no problems and they have made the repairs from a 'hit and run' on my car and previous damage that my wife'suncle did to her Jeep. All that and no raise in premiums, each price tag was about $2K. Military has a company available to us, I just don't see the savings per se. We can use USAA, if you or one of your parents were military YOU can use it as well. They rebate every year to their members what they make in profit, kinda nice but not guaranteed to cover the difference in price for me. I've heard that some get $500 back and others more every year. Good luck and happy shopping.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

state farm has been great to me. i finally got into an accident,that was technically my fault,and i was across state! they took care of it in less than a week. and told me my premiums wont go up. actually they dropped afew dollars starting next month.

they saved my parents too. my dad rear ended a lady that made it so obvious she slammed on brakes on purpose so he would hit. almost two years later, right before the statute of limitations was gonna end. my dad got served with papers. she was suing him, and ALLSTATE for some reason. that had to be the king of all mixups right there!(he has state farm) state farm told the lady to FOFF and fought her and won. she didnt get a dime in the end. her car had long ago been fixed because it was technically her husbands, and he was riding with her when it happened. he just wanted his cadillac fixed. and money for a hospital check up.