Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with some q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with some q's

Hey everybody... new to the board... most likely i am getting ready to buy a 1999 black t/a with 60,000 miles on it.

The question at hand is can anyone tell me the common problems, defects, and stuff I should look at? I can get my dads master mechanic to check it out for me either way looks like a go...

Another question, How hard is a t/a ls1 or how easy is it to work on? IE installing mods by my self etc.. i have a whole gamut of mechanics tools to work with at my dads work (practically eveyr nut bolt, tool fluids etc possible). i am not that mechanically sound but i am gonna learn

God bless america! thanks for any help..!
Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
PR Director

Welcome to the board. The LS1 is relatively easy to work on for installing the basic boltons (e.g. Headers, Cam, Exhuast, Trottle Body, Intake, Pullies, etc.) You just have to be patient and have some mechanical know how.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:46 AM
PR Director

First thing I would do is get it on a lift, that reveals many things, leaks, wrecks etc.
Have you ran the VIN number yet with carfax to see if I comes up with anything?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Eventually i will, but currently preparing for frances(right in the path) thanks for the replys though, i hope it doesnt ruin my future ride!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 AM
STF Veteran

If you can speak with the previous owner, ask about the oil consumption. Most of us add upwards of a quart between oil changes. A catch can could help you out there.

Glad to see more people willing to learn to do there own work. Take pride in your ride. Lets see some pics of her if/ when you get some.

Welcome to the board.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Will do (eventually), thanks for the replies, just hope frances doesnt ruin it before i even get to inspect it! lol...... yeah i want to learn, i have all the tools and knoledgable people to help, plus i wont have the money to pay for labor anyways lol....
Old 09-03-2004, 07:55 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by slowt/a
Hey everybody... new to the board... most likely i am getting ready to buy a 1999 black t/a with 60,000 miles on it.

The question at hand is can anyone tell me the common problems, defects, and stuff I should look at? I can get my dads master mechanic to check it out for me either way looks like a go...

Another question, How hard is a t/a ls1 or how easy is it to work on? IE installing mods by my self etc.. i have a whole gamut of mechanics tools to work with at my dads work (practically eveyr nut bolt, tool fluids etc possible). i am not that mechanically sound but i am gonna learn

God bless america! thanks for any help..!
Congrats on your car.

The only "defect" that I can think of is the power window motors. They always seem to break (except for one person on this board that has had 3 f-bodies and no new window motors).

Working on the LS1 will test your patients but it will be rewarding and a LOT cheaper.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my 2nd LS1 WS6 ('98 &'00) and no window motor probs either.hehe^
No oil consumption probs or even the piston slap in the morning. I did however, blow the clutch out of the '00. this was expected though.