Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will ls6 intake help much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will ls6 intake help much?

I have a 98 z28 m6, and have been told many things about the ls6 intake, will it really add 10-15 rwhp?? Is it worth $500 bucks?

(Do not say search, just want some more opinions)

David
Old 09-10-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people have seen that much or more depending on their mods. Then I've seen some people hardly gain anything, but I'd say more times than not you will get some extra power. Somewhere between 5-12 would be reasonable to expect. And no I don't think it's worth $500. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for an LS6 intake. Some of the sponsors sell them for that much, or be careful... and you can pick one up on eBay even cheaper... whenever I do get one... I'll be sure to post before and after results... It is a proven mod, it's not a Tornado or some

EDIT - Got a link for you...LS6 Before / After Although this is a full bolt on car with a cam... most cars I think would get considerably less IMHO... If anyone else has some before/afters... post them up. ( Search?? )
Old 09-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Teching In

The LS1 that is in the GTO has and LS6 intake on it from the factory, I don't know if they put that on any of the cars before 04 or not
Old 09-11-2004, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KFREY1
The LS1 that is in the GTO has and LS6 intake on it from the factory, I don't know if they put that on any of the cars before 04 or not
Yes, they did. All LS1 (and LS6) vehicles (Camaro/Firebird/Corvette) from model year 2001 and up had the LS6 intake on them as standard. :yup:
Old 09-11-2004, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yes, they did. All LS1 (and LS6) vehicles (Camaro/Firebird/Corvette) from model year 2001 and up had the LS6 intake on them as standard. :yup:

Well doesn't that answer his question about the install of an ls6 intake. There must be some gains in flow and power, but, if he installs a ls6 intake, will the heads breath enough to see considerable gains. It is my understanding that the ls6 intake really flows good, and that it will out flow the ls1 heads? That is where I'am at, tring to decide wheather or not to have my ls1 heads proted and flowed (stage 2) or get ls6 heads (stage 2). I want to match my system up ie. cold air intake, tb, intake, heads, cam, exhaust, so that one part is not over kill and takes power away.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:52 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes the intake will help, its a foundation mod.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Launching!

I didn't even bother changing on my 99 stock motor.But now that i'm doing cam,valvetrain and headers,it's a must.
It will add some power,as mentioned above,all 2001 vettes came with an LS6 intake,they also make about 10 hp more than 97 to 99 vettes,maybe more with some good tunning.But thats not RWHP.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:23 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by camarodave98

David
im just curious about what kind of "different" opinions your going to get. you'll find the consensus will be get the intake if you plan for h/c but for a stock motor the gain will be minimal.

but hey, thats what we already said this thread.....
Old 09-11-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Why don't you try to pick one up used? You should be able to get one for much less than 500. I suppose if you are gonna buy one used you might as well spend the extra money and get the FAST LSX intake. I wouldn't change my LS6 intake into an FAST but might change LS1 intake for it.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I'm pretty sure I read that one of the sponsers (I don't remember who) is now selling the LS2 intake and supposedly it makes more power than the LS6 but costs less. So you might check on that too.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NavySS
EDIT - Got a link for you...LS6 Before / After

Damn....i def need a LS6 intake for my bolt-on cammed 98'.........
Old 09-11-2004, 04:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KFREY1
Well doesn't that answer his question about the install of an ls6 intake.
well neither did your first post
Old 09-11-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Venting/Ranting

Originally Posted by jrp
im just curious about what kind of "different" opinions your going to get. you'll find the consensus will be get the intake if you plan for h/c but for a stock motor the gain will be minimal.

but hey, thats what we already said this thread.....
jesus h....*******censored********...........

can't agree with ya more jrp. the search button issue which plagues this board is kinda directly mirrored with the rest of society if you notice....with the understanding of course that what i'd like to think of as many of the people who come to this board are intelligent and desire to learn. however, as this board grows, as is true with most every other entity unless screened, it starts to show the demographics of the population its drawn from. unfortunately almost directly correlated with board growth is the growth in repetitive posts which could be eliminated by correctly using the search button. kind of like how the US is full of people who won't get off their *** and teach themselves anything. not saying that people who don't search are stupid....but if you don't search, and ask for handouts...then yes i have no qualms with calling you lazy. ****.

i'm just waiting for you to start locking threads when the search button would have sufficed instead of the post. the countdown begins....

camarodave, i do apologize for ranting on your thread. this is not a flame towards you. i even plan on answering your question. if you plan on modding your car any more besides a lid and a catback, get the intake. like jrp said, its a foundation mod. without the intake, if you ever get heads or a cam, you'll just be choking them. you can definitely pick one up for 300 shipped off this board easily. again, sorry for the rant/soapbox/novel.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 09-11-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In reply to JRP and the list above...

I know your not trying to be annoying saying "search" It is a great tool on this site, there is no denying that. But peoples opinions vary over time, for example...when i was interested in the sts turbo! I clicked "search" and EVERYONE that had previously posted on it was putting it down bad! So then i posted in this thread area and got completely different responses and got people who had no idea about the turbo, intersted in reading my post in NEW LS1 OWNERS AND ENTHUSIASTS! Search is great but sometimes you want updated opinions.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my headers/cutout/lid 2000 ws6 it made a HUGE diffrerence in power
Old 09-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Teching In

From all the research I have done it will add about 5 hp on a stock engine that already had the ls1 intake. The plenums are a tad bit larger. In a couple of articles from (so called) experts it is a "foundation mod" like some one said earlier. They said ot to change the intake until you do the cam ands heads swap. Other wise it will be waste of time for not that much improvement. IMO
Old 09-12-2004, 12:56 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

In reply to JRP and the list above...

I know your not trying to be annoying saying "search" It is a great tool on this site, there is no denying that. But peoples opinions vary over time, for example...when i was interested in the sts turbo! I clicked "search" and EVERYONE that had previously posted on it was putting it down bad! So then i posted in this thread area and got completely different responses and got people who had no idea about the turbo, intersted in reading my post in NEW LS1 OWNERS AND ENTHUSIASTS! Search is great but sometimes you want updated opinions.
but what new revelations have come about on the ls6 intake? thats what i thought. the STS example is very understandable, as is AFR related stuff. there is always opinions and "facts" floating around before a product is release but when it finally hits the market you get different and updated opinions. the LS6 intake however is not one of them. but anyway...
Old 09-12-2004, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

well the FAST LSX intake is new-I would say to buy that instead if you are going to buy it new.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Why doesnt anyone that did this swap come on and say ...Ls-1 intake ran the best of 12.9x. LS-6 intake I ran the best of 12.*x? Thats what I'd like to know if anyone has that info?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my opinion...

SEARCH!!!