New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about manually removeing 'check engine' light.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about manually removeing 'check engine' light.

Ever since i deleted a few emissions my check engine light has been on. Someone told me i could take the bulb out behind where it lights up. Tonight i got bored and finially attempted it. I took the WHOLE houseing out away from the dash. It appears the bulbs are activated my a remote or something. Regurdless there are about 4 bulbs on the side where the check engine light is and they all appear to light up the speedo, gas gauge, and work together to light up the entire dash, not the specific "check engine" light area, and removeing these bulbs would dim part of the gauges makeing it look ghetto. I took the see though cover off, then started to remove the piece the gauges are printed on off, i need to take this off to see what lights this feature up. But its glued on and is flimsy like its easy to break so i decided not to remove it. There appeard to be a orange light bulb behind this thing, how do i get to it?
I just put it all back together and put a piece of black electrical tape over where it lights up as a temporary fix (which i may leave for good). But i did what people described to fix this and mine appears to be different. Has anyone done this?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldnt do this becuase it may let you know of a more serious matter later. Such as flashing for a misfire, ect.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont really care. Everytime something serious is wrong, like i burn a piston or a valve along with like all spark plugs then a flashing red light comes on anyway. lol. By then, its obvious and i dont need a light.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

lol, I suppose you have a point Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the exact same thing. My SES was always on due to the cam, I got tired of seeing that and the SKIP SHIFT light. Two pieces of electrical tape fixed those two

Since my SES light is always on anyway, it wouldn't help me one bit if something else was wrong with it too. It did not bother me one bit covering it up. I think I did this like last weekend? Hasn't caused any other problems
Old 09-14-2004, 01:03 PM
STF Veteran

You could get LS1 edit and delete the emissions warning systems. But I guess you're on the right track to do it the free way.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

you could easily cut the wire coming from the computer that turns the light on