New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my engine made of?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my engine made of?

First off I'm transpanting an LS1+t-56 combo into a 69 camaro and the engine that I am using came out of a 98 z28.

So being relativly new to the LS1 I tought I would check out jrp's newbie thread. I start looking at all the very useful info until I came upon How to tell if you have a z06 block. Now I was under the impression that the ls6 wasn't made in 98 so I didn't think much off it, but then i thought what if? So I break down and got out to my garage and check (it's out of the car right now) and no **** I have an ls6 block!

So after checking the numbers about 7 times I thought to my self how did this get into a 98 z28? Did the previouse owner blow his first engine and get a 2000-2002 engine or what? Because of my block being an ls6 what else does that mean. How can i tell if i have an ls6 intake? Anything else i should know about this or am I makeing a big deal about nothing?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

This ls6 intake doesnt have egr. Its a hose running to the center of the intake. I would say he must have blown his first up. In that case you should have an ls6 intake.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the ls6 block really dosnt give you anymore performance. Except it has a better way of dispersing oil. So it cools a little better than the ls1 block. As for telling if you have an ls6 intake...I think that if you dont have egr hookups on the intake then its an ls6 intake. Not really sure but I could be wrong.

Fry
Old 09-21-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn tiger, ya just beat me to it
Old 09-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Wait I got a little aheadof my self/excited I have an EGR so i don't have an ls6 intake (should have know that) so wtf? Why would i have a ls6 block but no intake? Anyone got the casting numbers for ls1/ls6 heads?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The guy very well could have blown a rod threw his old block, and just picked this one up for cheap. I mean there are tons of possibilities of why you have the ls6 block, especially since this was bought as just the engine and tranny. I doubt that there is any way that it came from the factory with that block. I am pretty sure the ls6 was just getting out of its developmental stages then, so there is no way it was put into production. If I were you I would contact the person you bought it from and see what the deal was. But, like I said before, there is no noticalbe performance increases other than slightly lower operating temps.

Fry

Search this Thread