Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston we got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Houston we got a problem

Ok guys last night i was driving home and i see a gt so i deside to mess with him, i turn a corner and step on it to lay alot of ruber down when bam, bam my car hesitates and the engine kid of flutters a couple of times, i was like wtf? so i deside to test my car and i try to punch it from a dead stop in a straight line when bam the engine actually dies for like a second the car shakes then the engine comes back to live just like that. The other thing is (this is a pre condition) My instrument cluster has been acting up the rpms jump to like 7500 then down to 0, the speedometer hasn't been around for a couple of month the gages are all crasy, and the friking dashboard looks like a christmast tree. The funny thing is that when the gas gage dies the board tells me to check the gages wich when you low on gas it is sopose to do that so it's weird it's all crazy but it stills tell me to check for low gas when my gas gage go crazy.

Ps: the whole gages thing is a pre condition i am actually wondering about the engine dying, and i added the gages thing just in case they had something to do with it.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

get an exorcist!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. Sounds like a voltage issue for sure (I know what I just said wasn't einstein-like, but hey its 9 am and i'm still waking up). When was the last time you had your plugs changed? What year car? SES light? Need more info
Old 10-01-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Have you done any work to the car? It mostly sounds like a bad ground. There are three gound straps on the back of the cylinder heads that been known to cause grief like this.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

the engine dying like that is a electrical problem??????? you guys sure ???

well the car has a bunch of work done like lt's off road y pipe intake cam egr delition lid and a few others o and i rebuild the engine and i put the whole front end back together, but the electrical work was done by a shop so that should be ok, the only thing i could think might be causing it is the asp pulley i put on the car a few month back.

o the car is a 2000 t/a
Old 10-01-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

If you said the engine dies/bogs when you floor it and didn't mention the gauges, I'd say fuel starvation or bad tune. But since you're getting the odd behavior with the cluster, that would tend to point to the wiring.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
If you said the engine dies/bogs when you floor it and didn't mention the gauges, I'd say fuel starvation or bad tune. But since you're getting the odd behavior with the cluster, that would tend to point to the wiring.
would the asp pulley have anything to do with that?? that's the only thing i could think off
Old 10-01-2004, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Check your grounds, I had the same problem with my instrument cluster, but my engine wasn't dying because that ground wasn't loose. I would definately check the grounds though.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks guy's i do remeber that when the wirering was being pluged in the mechanic had to go magaiber on one of the ground wires so i'll check that one out.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some a4 cars reported having a poor charging alt after the asp crank pulley(the reason most a4's get the over driven alt pulley with it)

but it sounds more like your pcm acting up... (could be cause by an impropper ground)
dieing when you floor it has alot to do with spark, timing, ignition ect ect ect...

first things firat check your alternator output... if it is low then you found your culprit.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you have traction control on? Gauges wouldn't be affected of course, but you said that was a pre-existing condition.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Launching!

my 98 a4 just went through the same dash prob... i changed the alt and cleaned up the bat terminals so far so good dont know about the dying ..good luck
Old 10-01-2004, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

sounds like a plugged up fuel line or filter maybe....fuel starvation
Old 10-02-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont know if this matters but when i turn the car on the amp meter is always a little high then after driving for a while it levels off. I was thinking that it was the pcm not fuel starvation cause it just started doing it out of the blue, plus under normal driving contition the car is fine. o and this morning i started the car and it wouldn't start eventually it did but it kept surging like the when the comp re-learns and eventually the rpms level off and the car was running normal so it definetelly has to do with the pcm, if i hook the car up to a scanner or a comp will it tell me if it is the pcm, or where the surge is coming from, i mean will it tell me if a relay is burned or whether it is in deed a spike cause by a faulty ground ?? iam good with engines or boltign stuff or hardware in general but when it comes to the electrical system tunning and the computer i am a little lost with diagnostic so any help will be good.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

loose battery cable will do this **** too
Old 10-03-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

o man am i stuped, i got under the car and looked all over, all the grounds where fine, then i come out and right in my face the ground that goes to engine control and one of the fuse boxes under the hood was loose, man i must have checked that box like 5 times and i never noticed the stuped ground was loose. Well ground tighten the dashboard level out after like 5 mins or so and the car started just fine, something it din't do yesterday or this morning when it din't even start, the speedometer is still crazy but that might have to do with the fact that i ran the tranny drie a couple moth back. lol well lets hope it was just that stupid little ground. thanks for the help guys, and lets hope the problem is solve.

ps:: lol i guess we could go ahead and hold up on that exorsist, for now anyways.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

hope it works out
Old 10-03-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

9 times out of 10 a problem that causes the most grief is always the simplist to fix.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok someone get on the phone with that exorsist for me lol o man just when i thought i took care of it last night at like 11 pm going down i 75 the car dies, and listen to this this is good. Ok so the car dies and i am like crap the funny thing is it died and i took it out of gear, then i put it back in gear and the engien came back to live by itself, but it had no power it was stutering like crazy like if a whole side lost spark or something like that. So in gear with the tranny turning the engine it starts, with no power and stutering like crazy but it starts , the second i took it out of gear and came to a stop the engine said bye bye iam on strike now. The worst part is that my friend let his other friend borrow his tools ( which are kind of my tools to casue iam always over there using them lol) and i am working so off to the mechanics it is, i always feel like somone is doing my wife when i let other people work on, or drive my car. o crap well we'll see what hapens next.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every figure out the prob??? my car is doing similar things. i suspect the alternator.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Post this in the "Stereo & Electronics" section you might get a better answer.