New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration through frame & steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vibration through frame & steering wheel?

What the hell causes a vibration that you can slightly audibly hear, feel through the steering wheel, the entire frame of the car, and sometimes the gas pedal. It slightly increases with acceleration. Trany mount? I'm stumped on this one
Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

I had some rattling and vibrations. It turned out my tranny mount was riped up and my torque arm bushing was damaged also.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

did you have vibrations in your steering wheel and the frame of the car? It is soooo annoying, i figured a trans mount is cheap anyways and wouldn't hurt to put a new one in. I have a 2001 Trans Am, should I just get the oe replacement? I keep hearing all types of crap about Energy Suspension Mounts and Poly mounts that vibrate real bad. I'm trying to eliminate the vibs.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

nobody has every had a vibration in the steering wheel and throught the frame of the car at idle? I'm thinking the trans mount but just want to see if anyone has had this before, please help
Old 10-07-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mc01ta
nobody has every had a vibration in the steering wheel and throught the frame of the car at idle? I'm thinking the trans mount but just want to see if anyone has had this before, please help

The only vibration I had was when my rear rotors were warped. Sorry...
Old 10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

i've had that before, got them fixed that went away. Still got this other vibration tho. Anybody who had their transmount replaced have this before swapping in the new one?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
The only vibration I had was when my rear rotors were warped. Sorry...
Did it vibrate when driving or just when the brakes were applied? I have to check my rear rotors.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

this is not rotor/brake related. The car vibrates at idle, not much after. I can hear an audible vibration sitting in the car. I can put my hand on the t-tops, anywhere on the car, and feel this vibration. I'm gonna swap out the trans mount this weekend and see if that fixes it. Again THIS IS NOT BRAKE RELATED, so rule that out
Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you race a lot? maybe worn out motor mount as well as the tranny mount.
FYI..i got the Prothane poly tranny mount and i love it. no add'l vibes. $25 or so. easy install. i like it better than the ES version.

maybe you have a slight miss in the motor? old or worn out spark plug wires. maybe not a good connection to a spark plug.

do you have headers? maybe the y pipe isn't adjusted perfectly and rubs the frame slightly during idle.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mc01ta
What the hell causes a vibration that you can slightly audibly hear, feel through the steering wheel, the entire frame of the car, and sometimes the gas pedal. It slightly increases with acceleration. Trany mount? I'm stumped on this one
my gas pedal vibrates a little bit on slight acceleration, not at idle, not at crusing, just accelerating from a stop, just curious to what that is, not really conserned with it tho
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

no i don't race a lot. Basically a stock car, no headers. I have a vibration in the gas pedal too at low rpms. I am doing the trans mount, spark plugs this weekend, hope that fixes it. Car has only 35,000 miles, motor mounts this early? Hard to think that i would, maybe trans mount.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

i just keep telling myself that my car has so much power it makes the pedal shake, ive changed my plugs and wires, still vibrates, and i case u didnt know plugs 1,3,5,7 r not that hard to do, 2,4,6 take off the AIR injection tube to make it easy, and 8 entirely from underneath, let the car cool too, when doing number 8 your arm will be sitting right agaisnt the cat
Old 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

I had a tranny mount break in my old LT1 when I went on a green light..scared the **** outta me thought I'd broken the propshaft or somethin. Had a eurethene tranny mount fitted but had to take it out after a couple of months as the vibrations were doing my head in. Went back to a stock tranny mount and everything was nice n smooth again.

I was told the eurethene mount gives a firmer shift (which it does) but when I complained about the vibes I was told that it's only really meant for racing.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when people talk about poly tranny mount and complain of vibrations, you have to ask them which brand did they use. the prothane is a bolt in and go affair, and didn't add vibrations. But most people use the Energy Suspension poly mount, which is NOT a bolt in affair. the ES mount comes with a thick plate which you should NOT use if you have an LS1. many people see it included in the kit and use it and get vibrations. there are also two rubber "knubs" on the ES mount which should be ground down with a dremel. if you don't grind them down (so that the mount is smooth on that side) you will also get vibrations.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I beg to differ with you.....the prothane or ANY solid mount will in fact increase vibration and noises vs. the stock tranny mount. I had a prothane and could only stand it for 2 weeks and I installed a new stock mount.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you talking about only a motor mount or tranny mount? I have a prothane motor mount that stopped my y pipe from banging, and it has not increased in car vibrations AT ALL. There are no downsides to this mod (other than the install).

Quick Reply: vibration through frame & steering wheel?