Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel hard to spin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default front wheel hard to spin?

do you guy's front wheels spin pretty freely? mine dont spin if i rotate them and let 'em go, in fact, they feel very difficult to turn compared to other vehicals i've worked on. is it just the big brakes they have causing alot of drag? i've never messed with another f-body's front wheels while they're off the ground so i have no basis for comparison. i was thinking maby i need to re-pack my wheelbearings. is this done on our cars?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a point of reference, my front wheels spin quite easily when the car is off the ground and they take a decent amount of time to stop once they are in motion.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

For a point of reference, my front wheels spin quite easily when the car is off the ground and they take a decent amount of time to stop once they are in motion.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

heh if your wheels arent spinning freely like MJSLude99 you got issues
are you rims hot after driving? (calipar's sticking or brakes need adjustment)

edit: just noticed you have 12,000 miles on the car so that shouldnt be brakes
Old 10-08-2004, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

when u go around a corner is there a loud grinding type of sound then it might be wheel bearings, which it sounds like it could be
Old 10-08-2004, 07:44 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've got a defective part somewhere.

Whether it be a wheel bearing, which as posted above, will make a loud grinding noise. Maybe a frozen caliper? One way to find that out is go out and drive the car. Be heavy on the brakes... get yourself a temp gun, write down the temperature of both calipers, at the piston housing (biggest part of the caliper, round, etc.) The difference will be pretty big if you've got a frozen caliper. 40 degrees difference or higher would be my guess.

Take it into the dealer if you don't have any mechanical skills, is your local dealership any good? In terms of service etc?

Rob
Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine do the same...i have a 98 camaro with 55k miles...i've never noticed them to be able to spin...in fact they are hard to spin at all...i always thought this was wierd but oh well...no noises at all except the brakes sqweak when stopping...even though i had the brakes replaced and the rotors turned not to long ago...must be crappy work...it doesn't matter thoguh as im getting rid of it for an 00t/a
Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Sounds like you've got a defective part somewhere.

Whether it be a wheel bearing, which as posted above, will make a loud grinding noise. Maybe a frozen caliper? One way to find that out is go out and drive the car. Be heavy on the brakes... get yourself a temp gun, write down the temperature of both calipers, at the piston housing (biggest part of the caliper, round, etc.) The difference will be pretty big if you've got a frozen caliper. 40 degrees difference or higher would be my guess.

Take it into the dealer if you don't have any mechanical skills, is your local dealership any good? In terms of service etc?

Rob
if hes gonna go hard on the brakes he will feel it in the rims i've burnt myself touching a rim with a frozen calipar
Old 10-08-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dont worry about it ... its normal ... u may have some surface rust on the rotors that will clean off when u apply brakes at speed
Old 10-09-2004, 02:23 PM
That's what she said...

they do seem kinda hot after i drive them if i remember correctly but it drives perfect w/ no noise. brakes squeak sometimes in slow driving and both front wheels are equally hard to turn. there is no surface rust on the brakes when im trying do do this as well. i'll check the temp on them to see how hot they but its wierd becuase they both are hard to turn. they have been like this since march and i just figured they were'nt as free because of the big brakes. the woman that had the carbefore me probably had problems but just let them go untill it stopped making noise and both sides evened out lol.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:26 PM
That's what she said...

oh yeah, my car has 95k miles on it, not 12,000. thats the guy who replied the first time.

thanx for the suggestions guys, keep 'em commin.

p.s. - my uncle has like a $45,000 thermal imaging camera/video camera at his work that he brought home so we could play with one day lol. i might get him to bring it home one day and take some pictures of an f-body @ different time intervals after driving. i think i've seen this before but im not sure.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Mine's a 98 and I have the EXACT same problem. It is in the caliper not wanting to release all the way. I have 24K miles on my car. I removed the caliper off the rotor and the wheel spun for about 30 seconds before coming to a stop. I'm going w/ Aerospace "drag" brakes anyways so I won't have this problem anymore. I've seen this on 2 local cars and I bet alot more has this prob. but dosen't know about it. Go take your front drivers side tire off and take the caliper off (18mm i think, 2 bolts) and see if it spins freely. I bet you it does.....Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Launching!

There is slight bit of wobble built into a rotor to back off the piston in the caliper on all disc brake set ups. If you have ever had the rotors resufaced or they are just that old that woble could be gone causing the calipers not to back off. There is another on I can think is the rubber line getting old and collapising inside, when you hit the brakes there is enough pressure to push the fluid thru but too much restiction to let it flow freely the other way(had this happen to me on a 3rd gen F-body). A easy way to test this is to have the wheel in the air and spin it then open the bleeder it should spin more freely then, this could be a good test for a seized caliper piston(if it is seized it still wouldn't back off) but have never it tried for that so I don't know. Usually with a siezed piston you can't move the wheel at all by hand. If none of the works pull off the caliper and spin the rotor to see what shape the front wheel bearings are in.

Last edited by KimberWS6; 10-10-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silent but Violent
Go take your front drivers side tire off and take the caliper off (18mm i think, 2 bolts) and see if it spins freely. I bet you it does.....Hope this helps!
Just curious do you pull the caliper and bracket all off at the same time?

When I pulled mine off it took a 12mm for the caliper bolt and a 16mm to hold the (for want of a better word) sleeve that goes into the bracket. The bracket does take a 18mm you a correct on that. There rears take 15mm and a 16mm respectivly and the usual 18mm for the bracket, thought it was kinda interesting that the rear have a larger bolt holding them than the front LOL when the caliper is like half the size.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KimberWS6
Just curious do you pull the caliper and bracket all off at the same time?

When I pulled mine off it took a 12mm for the caliper bolt and a 16mm to hold the (for want of a better word) sleeve that goes into the bracket. The bracket does take a 18mm you a correct on that. There rears take 15mm and a 16mm respectivly and the usual 18mm for the bracket, thought it was kinda interesting that the rear have a larger bolt holding them than the front LOL when the caliper is like half the size.

Yeah bud thats what I did. Also, I did try to bleed the caliper thinking the pressure was not bleeding off to no avail. Something is getting seized up inside there and thats the prob.

Quick Reply: front wheel hard to spin?