New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I searched and still have questions

Old 10-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I searched and still have questions

When I asked for an FAQ I didn't really mean the one on this site, I had already read that and it didn't answer any of my questions.I was actually thinking of something more along these lines http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ but I guess there isn't a site like that around for the LS1.
A4 vs M6, the answer drive both doesn't really tell me much about reliablity of the stock auto trans for LS1s, but I am assuming that they can hold up just as well as the manual?I ask this because many imports have sucky auto trannies(was thinking of gettting an import at first).I also searched for threads on overall reliablity and could not find a straight forward answer for that either.Also would a $10,000 budget even be enough to afford an LS1?And is there anything specific I should look for when buying an LS1.For example if I was looking into a DSM I would want to perform a compression test, and make sure the turbo is in good condition, and miles below 150k.So is there anything I should know/look for when buying an LS1.

I searched and these are still the questions I have
take it easy fellas.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in stock form unmodded both the a4 and the m6 hold up nicely, the t56 tranny has few weak links, most common troubles involve the clutch in modded cars, also slap style shifting will lead you to the second weak link, the 3-4 shift fork. steel shift fork and a good clutch/hydrolics and your golden for big hp.

the auto holds its own for the most part but it is hit and miss once you get to modding.
the 4l60 in stock trim wont reliably go better then 400 rwhp, however they can be built up for more power.

if your plans are an all out runner then most sudgest a simple swap to a th400 tranny,a built th400 can take you to the 9's and beyond no sweat...

10k is enough to buy an ls1, check our classified section.

ls1's take to mods very well.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info.I don't plan on hitting anywhere close to the 9s, because this will be my daily driver as well.If I can simply get the car into the 12s with minimal to no tranny work, and it holds that power reliably, then I'll be satisfied.Tranny work tends to get a little expensive and I don't have the cash to be constantly rebuilding the tranny or beefing it up.So if I can do that and not worry about the tranny then I'll be fine.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12's.....
for most m6 cars that means lid , cutout and drag radials.(with good driver)
for a4 stall tq converter, drag radials.

12's are easy, 11's are common for dayly driven ls1's
Old 10-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Teching In

sweet

Search this Thread