Sponsored by:

Looking for go fast recipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for go fast recipes

I am new here and new to LS-1 cars. I just got my first F-Body, a 2001 SS convertible and its all stock. I am coming from the Grand National world where we had some proven recipes for achieving different goals in terms of power.

I have read through the various "don't make this mod" threads and the many "this <name your part> is great" threads too. I am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of forums here to be honest.

I was hoping to find a thread or forum that covered off mods by effectiveness versus price. For instance I can't figure out how good or bad a stock SS exhaust is but I see many people go with full cat back exhausts.

Any suggestions where to look?

TIA
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont bother with the full cat back unless you are looking for all the time sound. A cutout is cheap, and very effective. A lid will be needed. I reccomend Texas Speed and Performance, but any will do. You have an '01 so you already have the LS6 intake. If you have an A4 a 3500+ stall will also help.

Always read up about what part you are looking at. Most questions have already been answered. It looks like you have already started your reading, that is a good thing. Always remember the search button is your friend. Happy modding.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the sticky's at the top of each of the forums. That should get you started. And search, search, and search again.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:16 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueSix
Dont bother with the full cat back unless you are looking for all the time sound. A cutout is cheap, and very effective. A lid will be needed. I reccomend Texas Speed and Performance, but any will do. You have an '01 so you already have the LS6 intake. If you have an A4 a 3500+ stall will also help.

Always read up about what part you are looking at. Most questions have already been answered. It looks like you have already started your reading, that is a good thing. Always remember the search button is your friend. Happy modding.

Good to know about the cat back noise. I'm getting old I think, I really like a quiet exhaust. My car is a M6 so stall is not a problem. I find 6th gear so tall that I'm betting I can lower the gearing in the rear without much of a penalty.

I knew about the LS6 manifold, I wasn't sure what cars came with them, good to know I do not need to swap that over.

I will look into a lid. I haven't even opened mine up other than to make sure it had a filter. I can't figure out why a lid is going to do much.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BJM
I am new here and new to LS-1 cars. I just got my first F-Body, a 2001 SS convertible and its all stock. I am coming from the Grand National world where we had some proven recipes for achieving different goals in terms of power.

I have read through the various "don't make this mod" threads and the many "this <name your part> is great" threads too. I am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of forums here to be honest.

I was hoping to find a thread or forum that covered off mods by effectiveness versus price. For instance I can't figure out how good or bad a stock SS exhaust is but I see many people go with full cat back exhausts.

Any suggestions where to look?

TIA
Welcome BJM, two months ago I was in the same boat. Since you don't like a loud exhaust you could try a Borla, it's adjustable for noise. Take a look at my modifications in my signature you’ll find the LS1 responds well to simple mods. Don’t be discouraged if at first you don’t get the same times as other owners remember convertibles are heaver.
Good luck jt
Old 11-17-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would keep the stock cat back..or get a magnaflow cat-back...it is not that loud and will sound great...also it is a straight through design..so that =more power...a lid will help because the stock one is restrictive...if you look at it you will see a lot of ridges...this restricts air flow to the opening....also a lid gets rid of the huge thing behind the lid(air silencer) which is also restrictive...you will see around 5-10rwhp from a lid and prolly 10 from the magnaflow...since the stock ss exhaust is pretty free flowing as it is...people will tell you to get a cut out but i don't like them...they do their job though (prolly 15hp of stock exhaust)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:35 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
i would keep the stock cat back..or get a magnaflow cat-back...it is not that loud and will sound great...also it is a straight through design..so that =more power...a lid will help because the stock one is restrictive...if you look at it you will see a lot of ridges...this restricts air flow to the opening....also a lid gets rid of the huge thing behind the lid(air silencer) which is also restrictive...you will see around 5-10rwhp from a lid and prolly 10 from the magnaflow...since the stock ss exhaust is pretty free flowing as it is...people will tell you to get a cut out but i don't like them...they do their job though (prolly 15hp of stock exhaust)

I will have to take a good look at the lid. I was guessing that other thing was a silencer. 5-10 hp from a lid is worth the effort. While I hate loud exhausts for some reason I do not mind intake sounds at all. I do miss my turbo's turkey gobble (no blow off valve).
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Launching!

I think a lid is the best first mod due to the fact that it can breathe better. I noticed quite a bit of difference in the throttle response.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BJM
I will have to take a good look at the lid. I was guessing that other thing was a silencer. 5-10 hp from a lid is worth the effort. While I hate loud exhausts for some reason I do not mind intake sounds at all. I do miss my turbo's turkey gobble (no blow off valve).
A lid will be a great place to start.

As far as the gears, you can go 4.10's without much of an effect on highway mileage. But they will make your rear weaker. i am sure you know that the stock 10 bolt is about as atrong as a toothpick bridge.