New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech or Basic Tune at a speed shop...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB
What's a mail order tune?
Sorry,
I'm old school(grew up building carburated engines) don't know much about the whole computer thing
You mail your PCM to the shop, they make a tune and then overnight it back to you.

Dude, you have the privelege of living sooooo close to a ridiculously good and reputable LS1 shop. Take advantage. Go get it tuned at Speed Inc. And also, subsequent tunes tend to be cheaper after the first initial tune (or at least that's how it is at RevXtreme and Norris Motorsports/NLP here in FL).
Old 12-29-2004, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

yea did some more research on this mail-order tune, found out you send them your computer, at first i thought they sent you a handheld thingy that reprograms the computer, ive been debateing between ls1speed or TSP, i think im gonna go with speed inc, 45 minute drive from my house
Old 12-29-2004, 05:33 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the HPP3 and have no regrets either.....found a brand-new one for my car on ebay for $120.00 last Winter.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPP3 for basic mods:
gears
bigger wheels
making fans cut on sooner

But for cams, headers, and power adders: I wouldn't do anything else but get a dyno tune from a speed shop.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Teching In

dont go cheap GO maffless !
Old 12-30-2004, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 EDIT, Hypertechs are bad news, they leave residuals in your computer even after you have set it back to stock, sometimes making it harder to tune later. if bad egough you will have to flash you cpu.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by B-MAN
LS1 EDIT, Hypertechs are bad news, they leave residuals in your computer even after you have set it back to stock, sometimes making it harder to tune later. if bad egough you will have to flash you cpu.
i dont mean to bad-mouth ls1edit, because ive had no experience with either, but after some research on here, hptuners is supposed to be much better, but now im hearing about efilive and thats supposed to be even better than hptuners
Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
i dont mean to bad-mouth ls1edit, because ive had no experience with either, but after some research on here, hptuners is supposed to be much better, but now im hearing about efilive and thats supposed to be even better than hptuners
Like anything else, LS1 edit is only as good as the tuner using it. My friends have all averaged with an LS1 edit tune about 25-30 rear wheel hp doing absolutely nothing to the car other than retuning it and an air lid. My car, when it was stock, dynoed 302 hp to the rear wheels. After LS1 edit and a mass airflow sensor my car dynoed 324 to the rear wheels and I was considered one of the least to gain from it. Since then I've done an air lid, long tube headers, exhaust, and a heads & cam package and my motor has consistently dynoed between 420&425 rear wheel horses without losing any power over the last 42,000 miles since I had the work done my car at this point has 68,724 miles on it, and it was a daily driver until 2 months ago when I decided to make it into a track only car . Dyno tuning with LS1 edit will ensure that your car is running correctly. LS1 edit allows a lot more freedom that plug tuners do not allow. Like, for instance, you can delete your O2 sensors and gut your cats and not worry about throwing a service engine code. You can tune your car open loop or close loop and so on and so on. The bottom line is depending to what level you want to bring your car to with LS1 edit you can do it on a dyno properly without jeopardizing your motor.

If you care to discuss LS1 edit or if you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to help you out. I hang around with about 15-20 serious LS1 and LS6 owners that race and the last car to be a track-only car is mine. They've all been racing hard core for quite some time. Our tuner (aka East Side Performance) was running a high 8 second camaro Z28 and a lot of my friends are running 9 second f-bodies. I'm hoping that with my direct port system and a 200 shot of nitrous, I can join them in the 9's in this upcoming season.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by B-MAN
Hypertechs are bad news, they leave residuals in your computer even after you have set it back to stock, sometimes making it harder to tune later. if bad egough you will have to flash you cpu.
I'd have to disagree.

I did quite a few downloads on my old WS6 with an HPP3 before I got LS1 Edit. HPP left nothing behind that wasn't stock once I removed it, and caused no issues at all for tuning later. And I'm not the only one I know that went from an HPP to Edit with ZERO issues, I can think of at least a dozen others that have done it with no issue. Some of us bought our own software and tuned ourselves and others went on for full dyno tunes at local shops like Speed Inc and never did any of us encounter an issue because of a previously installed HPP.

If HPP is leaving anything behind, that probably happens when a tune is interrupted and not allowed to complete properly (battery dies during tune, etc.).

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-01-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'd have to disagree.

I did quite a few downloads on my old WS6 with an HPP3 before I got LS1 Edit. HPP left nothing behind that wasn't stock once I removed it, and caused no issues at all for tuning later. And I'm not the only one I know that went from an HPP to Edit with ZERO issues, I can think of at least a dozen others that have done it with no issue. Some of us bought our own software and tuned ourselves and others went on for full dyno tunes at local shops like Speed Inc and never did any of us encounter an issue because of a previously installed HPP.

If HPP is leaving anything behind, that probably happens when a tune is interrupted and not allowed to complete properly (battery dies during tune, etc.).
It's funny you should mention Speed Inc. Those guys are some of the best tuners in the business. My friend Brad and I were down there not too long ago getting the twin turbo set up in his Z28. Tom really knows his stuff and he runs a good shop. Ironically, it was my friend Brad that had issues with his computer because he had previously used a hypertech. It's not every car but I would say about one in every couple dozed you hear some bad news about when they go to tune it using LS1 edit after they have tuned it previously with a hypertech. I saw what my friend Brad went through and what my friend Eric went through and they both had similar issues and it was all due to residual programming that the hypertech did not remove. But what you say about an interrupted program makes a lot of sense. Something that I had not considered. I will look into that. Oh well somthing new to consider .
Thats why I like LS1 tech alot of thnigs to learn
Old 01-02-2005, 09:09 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

Speed Inc. dynotune would be your best choice. It`ll be done right and no problems afterwards.