LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech-4/)
-   -   Dual Exhaust (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/299277-dual-exhaust.html)

LS1BlackBird99 04-01-2005 08:54 AM

Dual Exhaust

Is it possible to do true dual exhaust with still having stock manifolds on the car?

darrensls1formula 04-01-2005 09:48 AM

Why would you want to?

I think it could be done but the HP gains would be minimal with the highly restrictive stock manifold and stock cats.

LS1BlackBird99 04-01-2005 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
Why would you want to?

I think it could be done but the HP gains would be minimal with the highly restrictive stock manifold and stock cats.

I just thought I would see some good gains because it would have a 3" dual system without all the stock crap. I will do headers late in the summer and would really like to go ahead and get exhaust for some sound. This will help me out in the long run wouldn't it?

Keenov 04-01-2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 25thTransAm
I just thought I would see some good gains because it would have a 3" dual system without all the stock crap. I will do headers late in the summer and would really like to go ahead and get exhaust for some sound. This will help me out in the long run wouldn't it?

Just wait for headers, it will be a lot easier.

LS1BlackBird99 04-01-2005 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Keenov
Just wait for headers, it will be a lot easier.

I know it would be a lot easier but I can't stand to wait so long for exhaust. I can get 3" true duals put on my car for $200 plus the cost of bllet mufflers right now. Then it will already be pretty well setup for headers which will be later on down the line after a stall.

darrensls1formula 04-01-2005 01:37 PM

Just get a cutout for now and save for the true duals/headers combo. That way you can have some power gains and muscle car sound now and later can get the true dual setup done right the first time.

Or you can do what I did and have the stock muffler removed and a 12" or 18" bullet race muffler welded into the I-pipe (IE dynomouth). That costs about $50 for the bullet muffler and $100 for labor and it gives the LS1 a deep muscle sound, good HP gains and yet not quite loud enough to attract every cop within a two mile radius.

Good luch with whatever you decide

darrensls1formula 04-01-2005 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 25thTransAm
I know it would be a lot easier but I can't stand to wait so long for exhaust. I can get 3" true duals put on my car for $200 plus the cost of bllet mufflers right now. Then it will already be pretty well setup for headers which will be later on down the line after a stall.

I would check into that very carefully. Speed shops charge 1K + for true duals so $200 + bullets sounds too good to be true. Just make sure they understand what true duals are and that they stand behind thier work.

Good luck

LS1BlackBird99 04-01-2005 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
I would check into that very carefully. Speed shops charge 1K + for true duals so $200 + bullets sounds too good to be true. Just make sure they understand what true duals are and that they stand behind thier work.

Good luck

Yea, I am doing this through a shop here in memphis, TN that does all the true duals for everyone. They do awesome work and stand behind it 110%.

On another note, I see that doing the "dynomouth" would be a waste of money because I would be spending about $120+ on that and it would be a waste when headers came. With the TD's, all there has to be is a little modification to them when the headers come on and I'll be set.

blkZ28spt 04-01-2005 02:33 PM

Personally, I agree with the majority in that:
1) $200 is pretty cheap, so long as you know/trust that they do quality work and stand behind it I suppose it's worth a shot. Have they done an F-body before? I assume that price is for duals with dumps.
2) Putting any work into the exhaust without headers is just extra work in the long run and is generally a bad idea. However, once again, if the shop you plan to use can easily/cheaply make the duals work once you have headers it might be worth it. BTW: Their is a significant difference between where the stock manifolds exit and longtube headers. The manifolds end before they hardly go ANYWHERE. There would be a noticeable difference in the way the duals would be made for them vs headers.
3) You can just put a cutout on for very little money, or a replacement muffler, or cat-back.... If you used the shop that will do duals for $200 plus the mufflers it wouldn't hardly cost you anything for a simple muffler swap. :judge:

LS1BlackBird99 04-01-2005 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Personally, I agree with the majority in that:
1) $200 is pretty cheap, so long as you know/trust that they do quality work and stand behind it I suppose it's worth a shot. Have they done an F-body before? I assume that price is for duals with dumps.
2) Putting any work into the exhaust without headers is just extra work in the long run and is generally a bad idea. However, once again, if the shop you plan to use can easily/cheaply make the duals work once you have headers it might be worth it. BTW: Their is a significant difference between where the stock manifolds exit and longtube headers. The manifolds end before they hardly go ANYWHERE. There would be a noticeable difference in the way the duals would be made for them vs headers.
3) You can just put a cutout on for very little money, or a replacement muffler, or cat-back.... If you used the shop that will do duals for $200 plus the mufflers it wouldn't hardly cost you anything for a simple muffler swap. :judge:

Well I know that the shop has done at least 15 different F-bods true duals here in town. They do incredible work for really cheap prices. He told me over the phone that I would probably have to keep the cats on it with the manifolds because they are so short and one of them is bolted directly to the manifold. I just figured for $200 for true duals (dumps) isn't a bad deal when all they will have to do is a little modification when it is time for headers.

Camaro99SS 04-02-2005 09:24 AM

I say get a cutout for now. It'll be alot cheaper and easier and you can cap it if it gets too loud at times. Get LT's, and when you have enough saved for exhaust, put the LT's on yourself and drive with open headers to the shop for your true duals. BTW, does that shop have a mandrel bender?

Jason