Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs and cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs and cables

so i talked to the owner of the car that i bought from him, and he said that for as long as he owned it, one year, he has not changed the plugs or cables, and he does not know when the previous owner has, so i wat to go ahead and get that outta the way.

my question is what should i go with and which brands to get.
thx a lot, i didnt know where else to post this...
also, will i be able to change them myself? or is it jsut as hard as the 6cyl one that i had, those were nightmare...

mladen
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

im pretty sure it will be harder then the 6 by alot just because the last ones in the back on each side are pretty deep back there. Your going to really have to wiggle in there and find the sweet spot..as for what brand to get i would go with ngk TR-55..those are popular among LS1's and i personally use them. Just some advice to, hit the far back plugs from under the car it will be easier that way. Your going to need a 15mm spark plug socket and most likely a ratchet with 3/8 drive. As for wires i have no clue i kept my stock ones..anyone who thinks thats bad let me know haha
Old 04-15-2005, 10:40 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its going to be a helluva job if you've never done it before. if you're planning on getting some headers, i would wait untill then, then put them in before installation (and be carefull)

the wires that are on the car are fine, mine have 100k miles on them

a few sponsers sell wire kits for the LS1 car that are cut to length already and work great. my buddy got some MSD wires from thunder and they went on well and seem to be pretty high quality.

i would suggest removing the passenger side coil packs for the job, and maby even the valve cover (really easy w/ no coil packs in place) you will also have to remove the AIR tubing to make life easier on you. i just completly removed mine and havent looked back. MTI tuned all my emmissions and rear O2 sensors out for 75$, maby a local speed shop can hook you up too
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that they're all fairly easy to change except for the one in the back on the passenger side. NGK is one of the popular brands for spark plugs, Taylor and MSD are some popular brands for the wires.

(Edit: I see you already got two more informative responses by the time I posted mine, doh )

Last edited by ACW; 04-15-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
That's what she said...

more thoughts:

a 3/8" drive socket set w/ wobble extensions and swivels will make things much easier.

the #8 plug could quite possibly take you longer than all the rest combined

and its also easier to get the #8 plug wire back onto the coil pack with the coil packS not bolted to the valvecover yet
Old 04-15-2005, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

i agree wait for headers if you ever decide to do them...and ya take off coil packs that makes it 100 times easier
Old 04-15-2005, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

It's a bitch to change the spark plugs but if you have the time and patience go for it and good luck. I don't have either so I rather just pay my mechanic $35 to $45 to change them for me! I'm using NGK's TR55's w/ stock ACDELCO 7mm wires. Had a bad experience w/ the MSD 8.5mm, lets just say I had bad misfires!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

My '98 still had the stock plugs and wires untill 7-8 mos. ago ! Like everyone else said , remove the coil packs and it's easier with headers .
Old 04-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have MSD wires and NGK tr55 plugs. Its a good setup for me.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Wires, Get the stock AC Delco, OR the Stock Corvette for the red wires. No need for MSD's.
Plugs: I'd go with NGK TR55.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
That's what she said...

i just crawled under mine to unplug the ABS sensor while doing the hidden wire mod and noticed my #8 plug wire BARLEY on the plug. definatly much easier to fix from under the car