Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gasoline question

I have always used AT LEAST 91 in my car, but I was thinking, since I am going to be driving my car 3000+ miles across the country, would it hurt to save a few $$ and toss in some 87. I would just be cruising at 70-80 the whole time and there would be NO WOT runs and once I got to my destination I Would go back to filling up with 91.

Just thinking of saving a few bucks, but if it would hurt my motor in anyway, I have no problem spending the extra $$.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i seriously doubt it would do any damage at all. The only time 87 really affect your motor is when it is very hot, and when you are getting on it. Since you will be doing highway travel, your car should not run very hot, and if you keep your foot outta the gas, it may not even notice that you are running lower octane. The only thing is, our cars tend to get better gas mileage, especially in highway situations when running higher octance. I think the increase in mileage would prolly come close to balancing out the price increase. The worst that can happen is that your comp would slightly retard ur timing, and you would have to drive at least two tanks of premium through ur car for it to relearn its higher timing advance. thats about it. If it does retard the timing though, you will prolly get worse mileage than just running premium.

In ur case, i would stick with premium...

Just my .02.

nathan
Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I ran 89 once when I first bought my car, hoping I could save some money. I'll never do that again. My car loves the 93 octane, so that's all I feed her now.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Launching!

My car seems to get better gas mileage on 93 octane than on 87. I got 26.5 hwy and I was happy with that.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to get away with it, but mine will never see less than 91.