New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual or auto? dont know what i want...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual or auto? dont know what i want...

Im looking to buy a fbody, but im not sure if i want a manual or auto. Ive only driven a manual like 2 times but doesnt mean i dont want one. This will be my DD, what do you guys suggest? Or what are the pros/cons?

Sorry if this a dumb question or i posted in the wrong place. Im still geting used to everything here.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i didnt own a manual till my camaro...But did drive one fairly often just didnt own one....it was my DD for a long time now im drivin the s-10 more...but u cant go wrong either way IMO.....i love the torquiness of the manual though...u have more control over the power to me. If ur like the though the stock 10-bolt isnt meant for the 6-speed...lol. broke mine after a year of abuse...but it was fun. In racing the auto would be more consistant. so either way u go would be a fun car IMO....just personal preference. So really its up to you in if u wanna shift ur own gears or not...alot of people rather have an auto for a DD but i dont really prefer it over the manual i love my 6-speed...so good luck in what u get.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

well stalled cars are better then manuals (ET wise), but the manuals are more fun. And these are pretty easy car to learn stick on also.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 speed all the way. The f-body needs the F- factor (fun factor) IMO its a hell of alot more fun to drive, Unless you want to be a hard core dragster, an auto is a little more consistant at the track. or if you drive in rush hour traffic, other than that, bang some gears! you'll thank me l8r.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Are manuals fun? yes. Are autos fast as well? of course. what time of day do you drive and how busy are the streets then? That will answer it right there.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Good question, each have their pros and cons, its just a matter of personal preference.

Manuals tend to be the choice of enthusiasts. They are much more fun to drive than autos, put more HP to the ground, give the driver more control over the car, can take much more abuse than a stock auto, are faster than a stock auto, and get better fuel economy than an automatic as well. The only downside is that they can be a pain to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Automatics are only optimal for drag cars. They are very consistant, and can be built to handle lots of power. When built up with shift kits and stall converters, they can be faster than a manual equipped version of the same car. However, they are not good for autocrossing or running a road course, they are borning to drive compared to manuals (for some people), they have more drivetrain loss than manual transmissions, they weigh more than a manual, and they get worse fuel economy.

The choice is up to you
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

how much worse fuel economy are we talking about? I also live in cali with alot of stop and go hwy traffic. Its a pain enough in an auto. Dont know if can handle that for 45mins sright with a manual... i just dont know.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cant be no worse than the stop and go in panama city beach durin spring break...lol.
although its a pain its worth it...specially if u have a stiff aftermarket clutch
Old 05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

For a DD if you have alot of traffic (and it sounds like you do) I'd go with an auto, if it's just a weekend warrior to take out and have fun with, get the M6
That's my opinion
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
For a DD if you have alot of traffic (and it sounds like you do) I'd go with an auto, if it's just a weekend warrior to take out and have fun with, get the M6
That's my opinion
Manual is fine for daily drivers - so long as your daily commute doesn't involve sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for more than about 20 minutes.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Regular

I never owned a manual before my Z28, and I learned on it. Sometimes I wish I had an automatic, but I'm always glad I have a manual when I'm rowing through the gears and in a good mood.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I also learned how to drive stick on the Camaro. I love it more and more every time I row through the gears. It's not that big of a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. Leave it in second and don't worry about anything.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 AM
11 Second Club

I have had both and in my younger years I always wanted manuals. Now the way I look at it is if you are going to leave it stock, a manual is the way to go. If you are going to build it then go automatic.

A stock automatic can be a little boaring yes. Put some power to it with a stall and shift kit and you will always have a smile on your face when you hammer the gas.

I put over 400 to the ground on motor and still get 20+mpg. I dont think that is that bad for a built and stalled car.

Plus I dont know how many times I have heard, I missed a gear in the race and then them ask, lets try again.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:34 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Manual, after you get used to it driving it, shifting gears become "automatic" to you.

The T-56 is way stronger then the 4L60E, just the stock clutch is weak. Depends on how you drive/race it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For me the extra price of the manual would mean I couldn't have an F-body at all. All the sub $10,000, 50,000 mile F-cars in my area were A4s. And a new rear end is $2,000+. So I had to pick between an A4 TA or an M5 99-04 GT. I love stangs, but I have no doubts- especially after beating a 2005+ M5 GT, I'm very happy with the TA.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

I agree, Auto are good when your in a bad mood or average mood. Manuals are the best when youre in a good mood and happy. Like, in the morning when youre groggy and driving to work a manual would **** me off.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

manual here... learned how drive stick for my first time in this car and love it.... so fun driving around town. long bumper to bumper traffic does suck but it does with any stick i suppose. auto's are more for strip cars i believe but i would never go that route for a street car
Old 05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Teching In

just depends on what you like. i don't even have a camaro, but i would never want an auto and i've never had one. i like being able to use the engine to slow down and shifting and clutching are automatic to me. i never even think about it. there is only one time i can think of i've wanted an auto. had something to do with a girl leaning over the shifter.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

auto= if you want a drag car only!

Anything else=M6 hands down, its not bad in traffic like these guys say, i drive mine in traffic EVERY day with a spec II clutch and its fine.....wouldnt give mine up for an auto if my life depended on it, what is fun about putting it in drive and hitting the gas?> M6!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

People say manuals suck in traffic, but it's a second nature. I don't even realize it, I'll be in 5th gear and not know how I got there. When in traffic and it's in and outta first, I'm more worried and pissed about not going than dealing with the clutch anyway, it just comes natural. My first M6 car was my camaro, I could drive it ok, but couldn't race it etc, my next car had to be a stick, I hate driving autos, manual all the way.