Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would you spend the money

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why would you spend the money

Ok why would you spend the money making your F body fast and never race it. Last night I was on my way home about 3:30am. I see a LT1 TA I talk to the guy at the light and talk him into pulling in to a parking lot to shoot the **** and 'yes i had nothing better to do'. He had a ton of mods that i can see my self. So i ask the guy if he wants to run them his exact words i dont race her.?????What I reply why not??? He tells me that he just like to know that the power is their. He said he has never been to a drag strip and never has raced it on the road because dude is worried about getting a ticket.

Any thoughts on this matter.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Launching!

I have seen this mentality lots and can understand it to a degree.

First, I can see not wanting to street race. After all, it is against the law not to mention more dangerous than at the track. Hey at least the track has barriers and a ambulance. So I can see not wanting to street race.

Second, when you race you break things. You always have a weakest link, and after a while it will show itself thru a broke rear end, fried clutch, spun bearing, etc. We all agree it sucks having to spend big bucks on expensive parts. So one might not want to break parts, and therefore not race at a track.

So why mod it at all then? I've seen those who just like to know their rwhp and torque, dyno queen sorts. Some can get satisfaction knowing they have a 400 rwhp car without having to actually race. These people are often as addicted to mods as us who do race. So the mods keep getting installed and the power keeps climbing. I also believe there is less chance of damage on a dyno then on the track so it might not cause as much stuff to break, and a dyno is pretty safe. Also, some people like the power for just everyday legal (non street racing) fun. I personally love the killer second gear scratch and the zero to 60 run of a high HP car.

So, I can see someone modding their car and not racing it. I guess if you suck as a driver, racing it might only lead to frustration anyway. So I say to each their own. It does kind of kill me though to see a modded car and the guy has no dyno or track time. I would want some base for comparison and measurement. I do have more respect for those that do mod their car, dyno it, and race it to see an overall picture of the driver and the car.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I mean some people just like to say they have XXX amount of rwhp for bragging rights, but dont care if they ever have to use it/show it. They just like the feel of having all that power, and maybe use ti once in a while on quick bursts on the highway or deserted road. Plus, you will break things racing all the time. I dont have any track times with my new setup simply due to the fact that I dont want to shell out 2K for a rear end right now. Will I eventually get it to the track, hopefully, but its mainly a street car as I dont have time to get there often if it all. I mainly just do short runs with my buddies or other local guys. Howevere, this will be LATE at night on a deserted highway. I usually wont run someone who just pulls up to my car and is like "lets run them" simply because I dont know fi there are cops around, if there is traffic, etc...I understand what you mean though about some people who never run their cars, its kinda pointless, but hey its their money so they can do as they please, although I agree its a waste in the views of most people who mods their cars.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

im not racing mine until I get a Dana 60, but thats my only excuse.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

He might have bought it that way. I have a friend who bought a modified Camaro and doesn't race it. I ask him why he got it his reply was a good price and it ran like a scalded dog.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what SOLOCUS said...I can't afford to break things and I love the power on the street. I'd love to go to the dragstrip, I just can't afford what I know is going to happen.