Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a power Adder

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me choose a power Adder

My t/a is full boltons and I am going to be storing it during college. I would like to do a major power adder in the meantime and need to have a plan on what I would like to do. Since im done w/ all the boltons, it is time to move onto a power adder. Car has 43,000 miles, 6 speed, ls1, etc.

Well basically want to make it an ultimate Street car. It will see some strip, some auto-x, possibly some road racing, etc. Also a show car. Basically gotta be the best and still be streetable (don't want shotty gas mileage, overheating, etc)

Well basically ill tell you what i feel about each one and you can give me some recommendations

Heads/Cam: I think i prefer this setup the most. Would love to have a huge cam, heads. I love the sound of a loping cam as well as when you get on it. I expect heads and cam to cost around 3000 if not more. CAr will still be n/a and that is impressive in itself.

Cam only: Little less money, little less power, still has the lope, a huge cam can make awesome power on a ls1. ~1000 or more with tuning.

Turbo: Spool is kind of cool, i don't like the turbo lag. I just spent money on headers so I dont want to have to replace one of them with the log style one.
~

Supercharge: Love the whine. Boost being there all the time might be a small problem. ~3000-4000$

Nitrous: I am not really sure if i like nitrous or not. Seems the most risky. At least 1000$ to do it right. Most likely would do a 100 or 150 shot. Probably best power to $ ratio but I don't want to get refills all the time and it is not always there.

Or I could leave it as is: Cheapest option, streetable, still fast, and dont have to worry about destroying the drivetrain.

Can anyone fill in/correct hp numbers and prices on each thing. Also give me your suggestions.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

expect about 5g or more for a supercharged application, a sts kit will keep your headers and still provides some bad *** power, any of them tho expect to be doing some tuning or get a dyno tune, upgrading the fuel system would be a good idea for all of them, you could combine the cam only and nitrous option and make one bad *** car and have some real fun for a decent price, nitrous if done correctly is great and tons of people on here do it, doing it right is the key, you can get the lope and power of a cam and the sudden kick and sneakyness of nitrous with that option
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 AM
11 Second Club

You know, i've seen that before but never thought about doing it myself, that is actually a great idea, thanks for mentioning it.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Your right, turbo lag is such a huge problem - it sounds like you have alraedy made your decision to me, this also doesn't seem like advanced tech.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1000 what? for the cam only...$? that would be a nasty custom grind for $1000 try more like 600-750 if you go into full valveterain and what not
Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone have any examples of cars cammed, boltons, and nitrous on a stock ls1 block? What kind of power are they making and what are track times? Any cams that are nitrous specific or should I just pick any cam i want and add like a 100 shot?

I like this idea more and more each day.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love all the not so advanced questions this section gets...
I'll bet because its the first link at the top of the page.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
1000 what? for the cam only...$? that would be a nasty custom grind for $1000 try more like 600-750 if you go into full valveterain and what not
Try more than a grand if done right.

springs $250
Cam $400
Pushrods $120
Oil pump $170
Timing chain $170
Tune $ 500

hope you know how to insall yourself cause thats another $600+

Well over $1000 bux
Old 07-02-2006, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I do all my own work. I figured around that. Idk, i did it in advanced because it wasn't external engine or internal since it sort of involves both categories and didnt fit any of the specific power adder boards.

BTw, i don't need a new oil pump on an 02, do I? I know the bad oil pump was solved in the last years.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Ditch the headers & get a turbo set up. If not that do the supercharger. I sugest the ATI procharger.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Cam istall at a shop should be $1,600 Parts & labor, for the basic set up. More $ for pully, Ported oil pump, etc.,
Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i were you I would go with an STS turbo or ATI procharger
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Anyone have any examples of cars cammed, boltons, and nitrous on a stock ls1 block? What kind of power are they making and what are track times? Any cams that are nitrous specific or should I just pick any cam i want and add like a 100 shot?
Check my signature. My cam is small compared to today standards. 100 shot of nitrous = no traction on street tires. I've made 6 passes at the track, on the bottle. Torque is so incredible that I spin thru 1st and 2nd even when I'm not at full throttle.

Side note: I spent ~ $1200 for my nitrous parts, install & tune. I have all of the safety and extra (bottle blanket, remote opener etc.) stuff.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Spray It!!!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the money, get a turbo kit. you'll get more power than a h/c setup and retain even more streetability. you'll only see the power when you mash it to the floor. also, you won't be messing with internals so your engine will stay virgin inside (stock parts usually last the longest! things break when you let people touch them!). you'll even likely see better fuel economy as long as you keep your foot out of it since a turbo requires your engine to produce less work to get moving (since it works off of exhaust gases). a h/c setup, on the alternative, will hurt gas mileage.

like i said, if you have money, turbo all the way. if you're broke, you're stuck with h/c.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really it all depends on how much power you want to make. I for one, dont think you can beat the sound a cam makes. It's a thing of beauty.

You could think about doing something like cam/spray. Thats what I have in the works. I'm putting a healthy cam in the car and then putting a wet 100 shot. I'm guessing with all the supporting hardware for the cam, and doing the nitrous properly, I'll be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 2400 dollars. Thats including the price of a tune and dyno.

Thats slightly cheaper than a heads/cam setup would cost you. Either say, you're gonna be spending some money. The big thing is you have to choose one that you're going to be happy with.

BTW, if you're broke, yet you can still afford a H/C setup like stated above, either you really arent broke, or you dont have your priorities in order.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in very close to the same boat as you...I have some money (3k or so) to spend, but I'm not exactly sure where to put it (doesn't necessarily have to go to car). My current idea is a moderate cam (gotta love that sound) and a maybe a wet shot of nitrous done right. I'm not sure I would pass up an STS turbo if I found a screaming deal though. Keep us informed as to what you end up choosing. My only concern is how my choice could take out my tranny and/or rear end too.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

just wondering, can you do a heads/cam setup, and nitrous? I've never seen anything that says you can't, but if you can do a cam and nitrous, why not do all 3? It would probably make a nasty setup to get an aggresive cam, some good heads, and a direct port injection 150 shot.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

You most certainly can do heads/cam nitrous, heck you can even add some boost as well on top of that. All of a money and supporting mods thing.

Good Heads are very expensive and for me, i don't think they are worth it in my situation for cost vs. performance.

Aftermarket heads simply flow better than the stockers. They possibly could work hand in hand with the nos and add even better gains than nitrous w/o heads.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dumbscout
just wondering, can you do a heads/cam setup, and nitrous? I've never seen anything that says you can't, but if you can do a cam and nitrous, why not do all 3? It would probably make a nasty setup to get an aggresive cam, some good heads, and a direct port injection 150 shot.
If money werent an issue, I would definately go heads/cam/spray. Like said above though, heads are usually the most expensive piece of the puzzle.

I plan to go cam/spray and eventually start building a heads/cam motor for down the road.