Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock ls1 bored to 383?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stock ls1 bored to 383?!

I've been doing a little reading on this...I'm a newb so I dont quite understand everything about it...so ima ask a few ?s..

How much money would you questimate to take my stock ls1 and have it bored out to 383? (and whats this stroker buisness?)

would i still be able to use boltons on it while keeping stock tranny/suspention? (plan on upgrading suspention anyway...)

what about nitrious?

anything you can explain would be helpful! thanks!

BTW: Mods if this is the wrong thread feel free to move...im new so i figured new ls1 would be the appropriate thread..
Old 11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

I would do some serious searching in the LS1/LS6 internal engines area. For starters the max you can bore a stock ls1/ls6 aluminum block is .010 over. You would need a stroker crank to achieve 383 cubic inches.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Yeah you need to get a stroker crank. I'm not sure what you gotta do to LS1's to make sure when you put that crank in to make sure you got your proper clearances. But about the trans/rearend. If you have a t-56 (manual) they are good for like 800 horse so I've heard. If you have an automatic It was already on its way out before you even started modding it. Those definitly need to be beefed up when you start adding power. And our rears are more resilient than people say, Its my personal opinion that as long as you dont put slicks on them and dead hook on a prepped track they'll hang in there. Ive had 425 rwhp on my stock rear for about 25k with nitto DRs and shes holdin strong!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
How much money would you questimate to take my stock ls1 and have it bored out to 383? (and whats this stroker buisness?)
Displacement is a function of Bore x Stroke (how big the piston is times how far "up and down" it travels. The LS1 is an aluminum block with iron sleeves surrounding the cylinders. Since the Iron sleaves are realitvly thin you cannot bore an LS1 very much before you run out of material to cut into. However you can increase the stroke of the engine to get 383ci very easily. Several companys make 383 stroker kits that come with everything you need, but expect to lay out some big bucks.

would i still be able to use boltons on it while keeping stock tranny/suspention? (plan on upgrading suspention anyway...)
Full bolt-ons on a stock ci (cubic inch) LS1 wont hurt the trranny or suspension, you may want to think about upgradeing the clutch if you're running a manual trans. However, a full bolt on 383ci LS1 will probibly eat a 4L60E auto tranny for breakfast, and a T-56 will most definatly need an upgraded clutch. Also, at some point you risk blowing up the stock rear end (garbage).

what about nitrious?
What about it? Its a gas made of two parts nitrogen and one part oxygen. (ask general questions and you'll get general answers here).

Read this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
Old 11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

any recommendations on a company with stroker kits?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill pm you a link to a site (non sponsor) that has a 383 and other stroker kits.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
any recommendations on a company with stroker kits?
lunati makes one

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._engine_build/

why do you need a stroker motor? for the money, you could buy a forged 347 short block(around 3k) and through some forced induction at it. Or some nitrous...or even a decently aggressive h/c with similar results. And if you wanted to you could get a forged 402 or 408 for around 4k i believe.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Launching!

The first thing you need to do is determine if you are going to have a power adder or not and what kind of a budget you are on. If you are going with a stroker motor then you need to go with a smaller piston, which increases your chances of frying a piston with any kind of forced induction or nitrous. You will also have clearance issues with the stroker crank. big question is what kind of power are you looking to make?? stock internals are good for 600+ RWHP, so i would suggest working off that. add on a LS6 intake, nice set of heads, cam, throttle body, MAF, a 100 shot of nitrous, full exhaust, a good tune and your safely running 500+ RWHP, for about the same price it would cost to stoke your motor to 383 and with Signficantly less labor. Best of all you can do those things in pieces so your not dropping thousands all at once.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

i was wanting between 500-600 whp...so i will prolly just do the boltons and no2...just figured id check all my options! Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Your only gonna get 377ci out of a 383 stroker kit......Due to it being an aluminum block... Eagle makes a kit under 2000.....
Old 11-25-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
why do you need a stroker motor? for the money, you could buy a forged 347 short block(around 3k) and through some forced induction at it. Or some nitrous...or even a decently aggressive h/c with similar results. And if you wanted to you could get a forged 402 or 408 for around 4k i believe.
I'll throw in my $.02...
I had a 436rwhp/420rwtq H/C package before my current 383, and while it doesn't necessarly count as a "need", the torque improvement alone was worth the money. Not to mention that increased cubes are never a bad thing... An iron 408 would be a great choice if you can live with the extra 90lbs out front.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
An iron 408 would be a great choice if you can live with the extra 90lbs out front.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Launching!

theres absolutly no reason to stroke the motor if your only looking for 500-600 horsepower. I realize there is no replacement for displacement, but theres also no need to spend the money if you dont have too. If you do elect to go with the 383 then shop around for a short block. The block can be bored up to 4.125 from 3.8976 but is a costly project due to the block needing to be re-sleeved, its not as simple of a machining project as a gen. I or II. stoke can go up to 4.250 but with any stroker crank you'll have to notch the bores for clearance. You have a motor made to withstand that kind of power, so why replace it??? Heads, cams and a few other bolt ons. Check out Harris Speed Works under the sponser listings for a great nitrous setup. if you dont understand everything about nitrous and how it works they'll take the time and explain it to you.

Last edited by MiketurboLS1; 11-29-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: stock ls1 bored to 383?!