Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what makes a bigger tb better

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what makes a bigger tb better

what factors make a 90mm tb better than a 78mm better i just want to konw befor i buy cuz i am looking at the fast intake and the tb but i just want to konw why 90mm ( thats what i am gonna get cuz everyone told that one but i wanna konw why )
Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im biting my lip not to flame this........so here i go with the nice answer....a larger tb will allow more air into the top end of the motor allowing more power....but your going about this all wrong....1. you dont have the right parts to even consider going with a 90mm...no manifold, improper exhaust....so this tb you want would be just a big waste of money....2. there are a miriad of things you NEED to get and SHOULD get before even thinking about that tb....short lesson

if your going to add intake parts, you need to add a exhaust part in the process to get the most out of your parts...and vice versa.....for example....port your 78mm, get a ls6 intake,====get some headers and a catback system....youll see major gains out of those 4 parts TOGETHER

remember there arent stupid questions.....just stupid people who never raise there hands
Old 12-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

well i am putting a lot into it over the winter hedders intake exhaust ( straight ) but this is what a few ppl here told me to do so i am listining but i havent bought anything yet i am just doing the reshearch right now
but does that give me more reason to get the 90 or no
Old 12-02-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

if your going to get a 90mm tb you need to do it right and get a 90mm manifold to....thus "90/90" setup.....but that will run you close to a grand...and until you have some internal work done...its not worth it in my opinion....your stock cam isnt going to open the valves enough to use all of the induction that setup will give you.....just go with a ported tb and a ls6 manifold like i said....that will cost you around half the price
Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

You don't want to run a 90/90 combo til you at least have high flow heads/cam first. A LS6 intake with a ported throttle body is your best bet for now.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

how hard is it to port it ?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not too hard if you have the tools and are mechanically inclined.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/442896-tb-porting-tips.html

there are people who will do it for you too for a small fee. ask in your regional section.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

like me
Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

thanks to every one i will see what some guys i know have tool wise and see what we can do
Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

so what would it take for me to put a 90mm on for a tb and an intake? i was planning on lt headers and stright pipes. do i need more???
Old 12-04-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mighty mike
so what would it take for me to put a 90mm on for a tb and an intake? i was planning on lt headers and stright pipes. do i need more???
You don't necessarily NEED more but you will see much more that the 90/90 has to offer once you step up your internals. There is a ton of potential with the 90/90 and you won't see that until you get into heads/cam or bigger cubic inch motors. That will really make it worth the investment.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Let me give you the typical engine lecture. A motor is a big vacuum: yadda, yadda, yadda. The better the motor flows, the better the motor performs. If you got a nice heads/cam set up, it would definitely benefit you. The only problem is that the performance would be greatly crippled without a proper intake and exhaust set up. As it stands now with your stock LS1, the only thing that is really crippling the stock motor from performing to its limits is your exhaust.

Everything must match. There is no need to spend $1000 getting a 90/90 when your motor currently flows just fine. Wait until that heads/cam goes in, then it will be begging for more air. That will be your cue to add the 90/90.