Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
just curious, I know nothing about the blackbirds, not even who made them or when they made them. What do you mean they didn't technically roll outa the factory like that?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Blackbird
Here are a few links to them, but basically its kinda like a saleen, or a SS or WS6 but more extreme. Basically GM sent this company in this case a few Trans Ams (not sure if they did camaros) but then this company beefed them up, and had different packages available, highest being the 485 I believe. these were sold on GM lots and the mods were honored under GM's warrently so I guess you could call it "stock" but it wasnt done by General Motors a independent company did the extra modding to get the HP numbers higher

EDIT: just read the rest of the link ONLY 50 were made in 2002 and GMMG made them blackbirds opposed to regualar WS6's or T/A's
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

In his defense he never said anything about an F-Body with a V12. He wasn't talking about V12s strictly in f-bodies. He was stating that, nowadays, there are high power cars with high piston motors in them.

In his offense, take a look at those motors. They are usually dohc and are very small. When I hear V12 I think of some massive motor that is boasting 600+ ci. Not the case in European cars. They like to go fast. Americans like to be quick and fast, hence the torque.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

yeah, when I first heard of a V12 years ago, I was thinking of a hulking massive engine that would eat children for fuel. Then I learned that some people make V8s bigger than them. kind of surprising.
ane to an earlier comment, why would I ask about something like putting 1000HP in a car, when I had no intention of doing it. I was not aware that you needed to have a desire to do something like that to wonder if it was possible. Seriously, some people need to chill out. If someone doesn't know, it is your chance to look like a stud because you know some piece of random trivia. Yes you can do a search, but like I said, all I was getting was information on aston martin's and stuff like that. take it easy.

by the way, I never intended to start a "flame war"

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 12-04-2006 at 08:45 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

General question... what is the most horse power you have seen in a F-Body? Heard of? I mean I have heard of those cars that supposedly come out of the factory with a V12 and 1000 HP, but is anything over 600 even really a possiblility for a F-Bod?
I know what you mean, and most of the others in this thread are just being *** holes for the sake of it, all they need to do is sit back and use a couple of brain cells and it's pretty easy to see what you where asking.

Althoug I would admit it is a little open ended though. In terms of keeping the Fbody fairly streetable and reliable with altering the chassis so much that it is no longer really an Fbody and retainig the 5.7 litre displacement you won't see many making 600bhp+

n/a setups will generally see a genuine 450-500bhp SAE Net. FI such as turbo and superchargers are capable of making more power around 700bhp + on pump fuel but will require heavy mods to the engine and the rest of the car.

However the LS1 isn't done quite yet, as its possible to increase it's displacement fairly easily (bore and stroke). And 400ci or 427ci are quite easily attainable. N/A this offers over 600bhp easy for street use. And FI a whole lot more, near 1000bhp+ can be had.

When you start looking at out and out race cars then the score changes dramatically and 1500-2000bhp is surly possible on the right setup, but it may not be anywhere near as driveable or reliable. This goes for the rest of the setup of the car also.

Purpose built drag/race cars are not the same thing as a regular road car.

The Ls1 has enough potential to play ball with most of the exotics out there.

[b]The thing most people (see above ) forget is that all of these other exotic engines can also be modified but it's rarely seen.

Specific output (bhp per litre) provided you have enough displacement will always offer the most HP unless there is some under developed weak spot in the engines design.

The Fbody itself, well it's limitations are much lower.

Sure it's a fine car and has been proven to be very capable with high HP levels, but in reality it uses an antiquated suspension setup and doesn't have the stiffest or most rigid shell it's also big and heavy by comparison.

bang per buck the LS1 Fbody makes great sense and for not too much cash can be made to go toe to toe with cars costing many times more.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I know what you mean, and most of the others in this thread are just being *** holes for the sake of it, all they need to do is sit back and use a couple of brain cells and it's pretty easy to see what you where asking.

Althoug I would admit it is a little open ended though. In terms of keeping the Fbody fairly streetable and reliable with altering the chassis so much that it is no longer really an Fbody and retainig the 5.7 litre displacement you won't see many making 600bhp+

Thank you. I thought it was fairly clear, but people enjoy flaming without real consequence. It was meant to be a little open ended. I was just curious what COULD be done, not what anyone would really want to do. I am not looking to keep anything off the table of ideas. I really don't care about keeping it street worthy or legal. I just want to see what people can get it to do. I saw in a magazine where someone had modded a LT1 to the point that it was doing wheelies. Not as extreme as a motorcycle could of course, but that front end was off the ground a good 6 inches. Impressive. VERY COOL. I would love to hear more of those very cool things.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

alas, I think you are the only one to get it. That is exactly what I meant. I was curious what you would have to do to get that kind of power out of an f-body. And as for the money, if ALL it takes to get a f-bod to 1000 hp (which I think is really overkill) is $30K, then I might as well have bought something with a V12 and close to that HP anyway. It was just a pondering, not a terribly serious question. I have no intention, nor would my wife let me spend the kind of money to get mine over 400 HP anytime within the next 3 years. I was just looking for some kind of story like "I saw some guy with a 96 LT1 that he hap put $40K into and the thing was able to make short flights cross country, it was amazing!" Don't take this one too seriously.
Do you have a specific year F-body in mind? I've seen a couple "mountain motor" 1st Gens run mid 7s/170ish at GLD, so they're prolly hitting 1500HP. I saw a black mid-2nd Gen Trans Am that looked completely streetable rip a 8 second/high 150 pass at Atco in the summer heat, so I imagine he has over 1000HP on tap. As for the 4th Gens, the fastest I've seen in person was a high 10, so nothing to write home about. Hell, my budget 383 LSx with a 100 wet shot will put over 600 to the wheels, so you don't need to be Bill Gates to get some good numbers...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Basically, F-body ZL1 stage 3 came out of the factory with 600hp, 4:11 gears, etc..a 9 second car on slicks. This was the highest factory camaro produced. You may also include the 1969 ZL1, 600hp but regestered 425hp for insurance purposes-though this car was much heavier.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, I was thinking the LT1s. I have a 95. Not that I am going to do all these mods right away, or at all for some of them I am sure, but maybe eventually as I have the money.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I think the only "factory" v-12 car i've ever heard of making 1000 HP is the Bugati Veyron, which is also a 1 million dollar car. i dont even think the enzo ferrari makes that kind of power.
now back to what this website is for GM motors, biggest horsepower i;ve seen out of a stock bottom LS1 was 675 RWHP, will that motor lost a long time, lord no. but it is possible. as with everything in this world the bottom line is how much money are you willing to spend (realistically and within a defined budget). can you build a 1000 HP F-body for 30K (not including the price of the car) possibly, but dont be mistaken it will truly be a drag car. but lets all face the facts and realize that 90% of us cant invest that kind of money. judging from your posts, you dont have that kind of money (just like me) and a budget build up is whats in order for you. Go with all the simple mods, take your time and enjoy the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I am really enjoying the car already. Put nearly 3K on it in a month and a half, and loving it.
I just did the first mod to my car (besides the new rims and tires), by taking the "rice" looking stickers off of it. That must've added 10 HP, right?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MiketurboLS1
I think the only "factory" v-12 car i've ever heard of making 1000 HP is the Bugati Veyron, which is also a 1 million dollar car. i dont even think the enzo ferrari makes that kind of power.
Not that I'm wanting to disagree with you but the Veyron isn't a V12, it's a W16.

Most powerful n/a motor I can think of was the 7.7 litre DOHC V12 from TVR, in street trim it chucked out 800-880bhp. But only saw very limited produciton for R&D and holomogation purposes.

And yay the Enzo is mid 600bhp, but in real terms it's still a lot of power.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the correction, i appologize for the bad info. haha one way or the other their probably cars we would never even see in a life time.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

, sure can tell whos a newb and whos not....
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Thank you. I thought it was fairly clear, but people enjoy flaming without real consequence. It was meant to be a little open ended. I was just curious what COULD be done, not what anyone would really want to do. I am not looking to keep anything off the table of ideas. I really don't care about keeping it street worthy or legal. I just want to see what people can get it to do. I saw in a magazine where someone had modded a LT1 to the point that it was doing wheelies. Not as extreme as a motorcycle could of course, but that front end was off the ground a good 6 inches. Impressive. VERY COOL. I would love to hear more of those very cool things.
uhh.. there are lt1 and ls1s that do wheelies MUCH higher than 6 inches
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

As far as specific output n/a, I can't think of any engine that produces more power than the Mazda 787B LeMans car. It had a 4 rotor R26B that made 700+ hp at "only" 9K rpm. It's displacement came out to 2.6L.....hence the R26B name.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gbody6liter
As far as specific output n/a, I can't think of any engine that produces more power than the Mazda 787B LeMans car. It had a 4 rotor R26B that made 700+ hp at "only" 9K rpm. It's displacement came out to 2.6L.....hence the R26B name.
Well my friend, you must have never heard of the Barabus TKR.
Just check out this thread:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/07/...s-fastest-car/
Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
Well my friend, you must have never heard of the Barabus TKR.
Just check out this thread:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/07/...s-fastest-car/

That car my friend has a boosted engine, not naturally aspirated. That's why I mentioned the R26B 4 rotor. Find another engine that makes as much or more than 280hp/Liter displacement.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gbody6liter
That car my friend has a boosted engine, not naturally aspirated. That's why I mentioned the R26B 4 rotor. Find another engine that makes as much or more than 280hp/Liter displacement.
2005 Formula 1 engines, 3.0 V10 and nearly 900bhp, but I think this is a little off topic as these are RACE engines not STREET or PRODUCTION engines.