did i burn out wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i burn out wrong?

1. fully step on brakes
2. stomp gas pedal

thing is while burning out, i never released the brakes and then the revs got lower and the power got weaker and and the scream stopped as it got weaker, it was spinnin though.... whats up with that? and when i was done i released the gas pedal and kept my foot on the brakes... please let me know. thanks guys and merry xmas
Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 PM
STF Veteran

1. hold brake until car starts spinning
2. when revs get lower let off with the foot pressure to loosen up on brakes (but not all the way if you dont wana roll). the rpms should shoot back up..but if you do it correctly you shouldnt have any rpm drop
3. let completly off the brakes when done and let tires stop themselves.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EvilStang
1. hold brake until car starts spinning
2. when revs get lower let off with the foot pressure to loosen up on brakes (but not all the way if you dont wana roll). the rpms should shoot back up..but if you do it correctly you shouldnt have any rpm drop
3. let completly off the brakes when done and let tires stop themselves.
Seems about right.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, you pushed down too hard on the brakes. You only need to put that much pressure on the brakes when you're about to crash into something. Light pressure =
Old 12-25-2006, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, just give enough pressure to keep the car from moving.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Feather" the brakes.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I burned out the other day. I held the brakes just enough, but damn...it felt horrible on my rear brakes. I had to stop cuz it didn't feel to good. I know a line lock would fix my problem, but I have a million other things to get first.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

I usually put the brakes to the floor, bring it up on the converter and let off the brakes a bit to let it move and get them going.... Then I just hold them in enough to keep the car from moving.

It was ironic to me that the one thing I had the most trouble with in learning how to drive a race car was the burnout given the fact I had done a good million of them on the street
Old 12-25-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

wouldnt doing a burn out w/ out a linelock be hard on ur rear brakes and ur clutch and ur engine???
i always think about what im doing to the car, forcing power to the rear to break the power of the brakes, and on top of that still have to turn a sticky tire???hmm sounds like alot of stress on all the parts involved. and even for u a4 guys i would think ur tranny temps would go up by doing so.IMO
dont get me wrong ive done it this way, but not often, i usaully just dump the clutch at 4k and feather it to redline, back up do it again, and pull up and stage, but i run street tires, once i get some draglites and some et streets, im get a line lock and lay some VHT down, burn em, and hope for a dead hook?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Launching!

cool. thanks for the replies. really helpful. think i did bad to my car though? cause after i did this i cruised at 15 mph and heard crackling, rattling noise in the rear of the car. whats goin on with that? thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a linelock, you will roast your rear brakes a little, not a good thing to keep doing repeatedly.

Another issue is doing burn outs on street tires, usually unnecessary. I've cut the same 60 foot doing a burn out as without added to the difficulty of doing it on a 6 speed with out line lock it's just not worth it.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vipert/a
cool. thanks for the replies. really helpful. think i did bad to my car though? cause after i did this i cruised at 15 mph and heard crackling, rattling noise in the rear of the car. whats goin on with that? thanks
I think that would be all the rocks and such you picked up from your sticky tires and throwing them on your car
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

with an M6 its a good feeling when burning out.

blip the gas, pop the clutch, and hit the brake as your gassing.

it feels like a kick in the *** when the clutch is popped, and a punch in the face when hitting the brakes.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I manage to do burnouts like I have a line lock without one. All comes down to being able to finesse your brakes correctly. You also should not just let your wheels come to a stop - you need to drive forward out of it. Just letting the wheels come to a stop puts undue stress on your driveline.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SladeX
Without a linelock, you will roast your rear brakes a little, not a good thing to keep doing repeatedly.

Another issue is doing burn outs on street tires, usually unnecessary. I've cut the same 60 foot doing a burn out as without added to the difficulty of doing it on a 6 speed with out line lock it's just not worth it.
I ONLY SPIN STREET TIRES TO GET THE DIRT AND ROCKS OFF OF THEM, I DONT SIT THERE AND WAIT FOR SMOKE, UNLESS IM TRYING TO SHOW OFF OR SOMETHING
Old 12-26-2006, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

GET A LINELOCK lol for 100 bucks or whatever it was youll save 300.00 worth of brake pads in the months and years to come!

and if you have a M6 you could do 4th gear burnouts

Click here to see Video
Old 12-26-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ thats one hell of a burn out you did in that video
Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
with an M6 its a good feeling when burning out.

blip the gas, pop the clutch, and hit the brake as your gassing.

it feels like a kick in the *** when the clutch is popped, and a punch in the face when hitting the brakes.
unless your tires find more grip then the clutch. then it goes from tire smoke to clutch smoke. and me under the car covered in clutch dust. it took two weeks for the smell to go away, and one shopping bag full of clutch dust. never again on a stock clutch.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSXNV
unless your tires find more grip then the clutch. then it goes from tire smoke to clutch smoke. and me under the car covered in clutch dust. it took two weeks for the smell to go away, and one shopping bag full of clutch dust. never again on a stock clutch.
ive seen that happen a few times
Old 12-26-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSXNV

lol lesson learned. i have a centerforce and its holding up.

that vid of the 4th gear burnout, the guy was shifting like he doesnt have one. wouldnt you be able to shift like your driving (off gas,clutch in, shift, clutch out, back on gas) where the car wouldnt bounce around.