New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine and Transmission Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Engine and Transmission Removal?

This is just an inquiry on advice on those of you that removed the engine and auto trans from Z28.It is a 2000.Is the engine removed fron the bottom of the chassis as I have heard?Or is it possible/easier to remove from the top?I have experience in earlier models,but have not yet attempted late model camraro's.What is the typical difficulties in relation to time,etc...?I figured it is best to get some advice before attempting this project!lol......thanks in advance for any advice!!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

drop it out the bottom.idk if its possible to come out the top maybe if the heads and intake were removed but idk
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Drop it out the bottom +1...

Really pretty simple, you have to remove less stuff and then you have a nice engine/trans on a cart to work with... In order to PULL it out the top you need to remove a lot more stuff (heads, intake, rad?) and even then expect to draw blood, although there is some sort of custom plate? out there that makes it easier getting out from under the cowl.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Do it, do it. (Starsky voice)
Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fibbado
Drop it out the bottom +1...

Really pretty simple, you have to remove less stuff and then you have a nice engine/trans on a cart to work with... In order to PULL it out the top you need to remove a lot more stuff (heads, intake, rad?) and even then expect to draw blood, although there is some sort of custom plate? out there that makes it easier getting out from under the cowl.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Do it, do it. (Starsky voice)
this link helps out alot!!thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

ive pulled a ls1 out of a TA with just header removal, hood still on with trans bolted on still, rad/condensor out,
i think it just comes down to personal pref
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

I jsut pulled a 98 Z28 and a 99 TA LS1 and 4l60E transmission. The first one took me aseveral days the second one less than a day.
1st take all the hoses loose. the pull the wiring ahrness and see which ones you need to disconnect. Don;t forget tne battery, alternator and starter. All the A.C can stay don't mess with it. Jack the car up and you will have to take the tires off the front, the unbolt the shock tower from the suspension and disconnect you steering likage*this linkage holds the racka nd pinon to the cradle that has to be removed wnen removing the suspension. Then disconnect you exhaust completely and pull you drive shaft out.BE SURE YOU HAVE THE ENGINE SECURED WHIL DOING THIS. Once this is done there is a bracket that hold the transmission up *4 bolts 2 on each side* take these bolts out and the engine and transmission whould come down.

It sounds like a big deal but, belive me it is not that bad. A lift would be great aaaas well as a impact wrench, this will hurry you along.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Out the bottom. I just pulled mine out of my T/A. Took 3 days. What helped me out was a book from W2W "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s." I used it as a guide and there was a lot of pictures and step by step detailed instructions. I think I did more reading then wrenching. I went over the top in a 94 Formula once and over the top reinstall. Out the bottom and is definetly more simple and less painful and less time consuming.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

out the bottom as stated before, its also not a bad idea to color coat a small part of the engine wires....there are alot of them and it will save you time by matching them back up...also take your time and make sure when you put it back in its aligned correctly...otherwise this will effect different pressure lines of the car...and can result also in a vibration in the car...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 PM

http://bowlingss.com/ls1_how_to.htm

The 1st video

I think they do a little more then you need to do though....

Last edited by Gimix; 04-19-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine and Transmission Removal?