Sponsored by:

what viscosity is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what viscosity is right for me?

hey guys,
ive got a 99 trans am with 100,000 miles on it now and i just changed to a full synthetic oil my last oil change. My oil pressure hasn't been below 40 psi on my factory oil guage ever since the synthetic oil has been used. Is this a problem? the pressure has been between 40-60 psi and the cold monthes have just ended here in Illinois, and my car is not as sluggish. I would like to swith to a different viscosity i think, but im not sure exactly what needs to be done if anything. i talked to a local mechanic and he said it will take 2-3 oil changes for my car to get used to synthetic oil, is that true? i just have a catback and CAI everything else is stock. i would appreciate and oil combinations anyone would suggest in the winter and the summer thanks alot
Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Probably because that's how long it will take all the old oil to get completely out. Also, I don't know how hot it gets where you are, but I'm in Houston, and here there's a HUGE difference between winter and summer. Oil viscocity decreases with higher temperatures, so your pressure will go down a tiny bit.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

thanks lt1 wannabe
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else have any input? it would be very much appreciated