New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 98 z-28

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 98 z-28

Last week I was in an accident with my 86 z-28 305 TPI and totaled it out. I am looking at buying a 98 z-28 with 85,000 miles. Just wondering what the differences will be with power and drivability and such. Also, just curious as to any more information anyone can tell me about the car as to weather it is a good deal or not.

here is the link with pictures and vin.
98 camaro z-28

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those seat would have to go! But id say its a ok deal, IMO shop around till you find one you cant walk away from.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think its a pretty good deal. Those white seats are cool, but would probably be really annoying with a daily driven car, seeing as how they would get dirty so easily. As for driveability and power...the LS1 is going to feel totally different than your 305. My buddy had a 305 Camaro, and there is literally no comparison power wise, and the driveablity of these cars is pretty good for what it is.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 PM

I just went and drove it today. Sounds like it is running well and everything. I am a little nervous because it has been painted, i'm guessing after it was in an accident. It does have a clean title though. I'm not sure. After I do get this, what mods do I start with. What will give me the most power? Just curious as to your thoughts. I was thinking exhaust and intake, but what is everyone else's thoughts?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
As for driveability and power...the LS1 is going to feel totally different than your 305. My buddy had a 305 Camaro, and there is literally no comparison power wise, and the driveablity of these cars is pretty good for what it is.
Agreed... the power difference borders on severe. The TPI motors put out a lot of torque really low in the rpms and then fell flat on their face half way through the power band. The LS1 may not feel much faster from a start and at low rpms, but you'll notice a world of difference as the rpms climb at full throttle. Not sure if you expereinced that on your test drive, but I'd at least run it hard a couple times to make sure it doesn't stumble on hard accelleration.

You may also want to make sure you can start the car cold to check for piston slap... some LS1s have it and others don't. Of the dealer runs the car a while before you get next to it, you wouldn't know it does it until you buy it.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM

When I drove it today, i noticed it had a hell of a lot of power. I didn't want to rod it too much, because the dealership was cautious to let me take it off the lot in the first place, and i'm still a little nervous after being t-boned last week, but how many gears can you spin the tires w/o powerbraking from takeoff? Also, in a stock LS1 how fast can you be going and still break the tires loose when stepping on it? Just curious I guess...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Ive broken the tires loose doing 50 in an automatic. Dry conditions
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I would jump on it, it looks really clean, price is a little high, but if it is really clean and drives well then I would say it is worth it!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 PM

someone told me you could spin the tires through third without powerbraking....does that sound true or not?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

lol I'd love to see that...
Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ldhochstatter
someone told me you could spin the tires through third without powerbraking....does that sound true or not?
Mine has spun in third, but it's a manual. Also... I understood "powerbraking" is only done taking off in first gear typically. I've never heard of someone powerbraking while rolling nor would I suspect you would put an auto into third from a stop and then powerbrake it.

Please also understand spinning the tires in a gear is a crappy test of how powerful a car is. Tires can vary a lot as can road surfaces. My stock camaro is capable of spinning the tires through 6th gear during part of the year here in Wisconsin

Suffice it to say you're going from just over 200hp to well over 300. That's a 50% increase in power with almost no increase in weight... plus more aggresive gearing. Wait till you get brave and run the engine up to redline at WOT. It just keeps pulling harder and harder!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed it will feel night and day difference b/w your tpi and the ls1