Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Mod Q's

Old 04-27-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Newbie Mod Q's

I just bought a 00' Firehawk #128 w/ 28,xxx miles 6speed

I have been doing a lot of reading and searching since I got it about 3 weeks ago. I have some a few questions about some mods for performance and some for longevity.

I have read the LS1's have a tendency to spin rod bearings. The two reasons I have found is the oil pumps are not that great, fixed by a ported LS6 pump and weak rod bolts fixed by aftermarket rod bolts.

Right now the car packs about 40-50 psi when hot at idle and will pull close to 80 @WOT. Now to keep this up should I consider the ported LS6 and the rod bolts. I do drive the thing hard sometime.

All this oil pressure and I still have a damn tick from a lifter or rocker. I don't know what to do about it either.

The car is stock except for a SLP lid, SLP y pipe and 180 stat. It dyno'd at 303 RWHP stock and 320 with the mods.

I want to do a few bolt ons. I have a 89 T/A that I am putting a 406 roller w/ AFR heads in so I am not worried about making the Hawk really fast, not yet anyway.

As I mentioned I have done a lot of reading. The only mods I am wanting to do is, p/p TB(from the board member who does them), smooth bellow, LS6 intake and cold air, maybe the SSRA and 4.10's or 3.73's.

Would those mods get me around 330-340 RWHP. Obviously the gears aren't going to change anything. I am not going to descreen/port the MAF. I personally think it's a bad idea.

Oh one more thing. My fiance has a 05 Avalanche. I have spent some time on a few forums about them. A bunch of guys over there along with Chevy High Performance say that the Granitelli(sp?)spark plug wires are worth 10-15 RWHP. Wouldn't the same be true for a F-Body?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alright seems youve done a little homework....

those are two weak points of the ls1 motor....ive experienced one of them

my advice is to keep up with the oil pressure, keep up with the changes, and dont run it hard during hot days....i wouldnt go through the hassle of changing the pump if thats all your going to do

also it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a magnetic drain plug....keep up with the metal in the pan and if it starts to become a problem you might want to look into the issue

with the m6 the 4.10s will be a nice addition however you wont have much of a top end at all.....

its a good idea to keep these cars as stock as possible considering you have a very rare car...

and finally spark plug wires in no way will give you 10-15 to the wheels, however throwing some thicker wires on wouldnt hurt anything at all
Old 04-27-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Yeah I am not going to do much to it because it is rare. Thats why I am limiting the bolt ons, and I don't need a lot of top end. I know it will go 140. I don't need to be blasting up there a bunch.

The magnetic drain plug is a good idea. Your car looks really good with the black wheels.

Search this Thread