LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech-4/)
-   -   New exhaust (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/711105-new-exhaust.html)

BA01SS 05-08-2007 11:13 PM

New exhaust

Hey everyone i just bought a 01 SS a couple months ago and i just now got the money to redo the exhaust. I was thinking about the slp loud mouth cat back and getting a y pipe so i only need to get one cat. I don't know whats a good y pipe or the best cat :( If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Allergik2dyin 05-08-2007 11:46 PM

I really like GMMG, yeah it's expensive, but it's worth it. Borla is also another good choice IMO. But loudmouth and headers do not mix for most of the population here. Kooks has a real nice y-pipe I believe and I've heard that qtp has had problems with fitment issues on theirs, although I don't know if they have cleared that up since then. Try out ls1sounds.com to hear some other exhausts unless youre 100% on loudmouth. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

ls1leadfoot 05-09-2007 01:04 PM

Get On Ls1sounds.com.......every Exhaust Combo Known To The Ls1 Guys

T'sBlack99Z28 05-09-2007 02:16 PM

If you want it loud then LM F_T_W. I have it w/ long tubes, no cats and a big cam and love it. Check out texas-speed.com for y pipe and headers.

Asmodeus 05-09-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BA01SS
Hey everyone i just bought a 01 SS a couple months ago and i just now got the money to redo the exhaust. I was thinking about the slp loud mouth cat back and getting a y pipe so i only need to get one cat. I don't know whats a good y pipe or the best cat :( If anyone could help me out that would be great.

You still need 2 cats with a y-pipe. UNLESS you plan on relocating one cat all the way to the back of the y-pipe after the merge, you'll need 4 O2 sensor extensions (I think they run about 25-30 a piece??) and need to weld in 4 new sensor bungs (prob can get done for 50-60 bucks), and then, you're going to lose 15-20 hp. Then you'd have to have straight pipes fabbed up to replace the factory location cats you removed (more $$) and cut the I-pipe on the loudmouth to weld the single cat in. (more $$). I don't know how much you're going to gain even if you did leave the stock cats and got a better y-pipe if you're going to leavethe factory exhaust manifolds on... you'd have to replace the y-pipe anyway if you ever got longtube headers, most people buy them together..

Not sure what your train of thought is here..

BA01SS 05-10-2007 12:01 AM

I wanted to put the cat after the y pipe but i didnt know that i would have to do all that, and i dont want to lose any power

Starz T/A 17 05-10-2007 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
You still need 2 cats with a y-pipe. UNLESS you plan on relocating one cat all the way to the back of the y-pipe after the merge, you'll need 4 O2 sensor extensions (I think they run about 25-30 a piece??) and need to weld in 4 new sensor bungs (prob can get done for 50-60 bucks), and then, you're going to lose 15-20 hp. Then you'd have to have straight pipes fabbed up to replace the factory location cats you removed (more $$) and cut the I-pipe on the loudmouth to weld the single cat in. (more $$). I don't know how much you're going to gain even if you did leave the stock cats and got a better y-pipe if you're going to leavethe factory exhaust manifolds on... you'd have to replace the y-pipe anyway if you ever got longtube headers, most people buy them together..

Not sure what your train of thought is here..

WOW....IF you wanna keep stock manifolds just get an Off road Y pipe that will hook up to the manifolds (I Know thunderracing sells them) then just cut off a little of the end of the catback to hook the cat between the Y pipe and the catback. No 02 extenions required since hes keepin the manifolds, you will need 02 simulators for the rear o2 sensors (80bux) and that should be it....
And your Not going to loose 15-20 HP running 1 cat but you will loose some power since your pushing all your exhaust through 1 car opposed to 1/2 your exhaust through 1 cat like on a factory setup with 2 cats. And Honestly changing the Y pipe is pointless I know it doesnt look it but the factory one flows Great, the main restriction in the factory exhaust is the manifolds which is why your best bet is to get LT headers and a New Y pipe ( you can get pacesetter LT's with a catted Y pipe from Texasspeed for 700) or without the cats for 500 and get your own cats welded up. Any more Questions just post up

Asmodeus 05-10-2007 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BA01SS
I wanted to put the cat after the y pipe but i didnt know that i would have to do all that, and i dont want to lose any power

I'm here to help! :)

Just get a catted Y-pipe from SLP. Going to 1 cat is pointless and will cost you power as well as altering the factory configuration. You are wanting to going to a less efficient set-up than the stock y-pipe?

ICEMAN 31 05-10-2007 05:49 PM

screw the LM, get some nice LT's into a ory and top it off with a cutout, or save up some more and strap on some true duals and you will have the meanest f-body on the block

BA01SS 05-10-2007 08:06 PM

I just moved to AZ and i was told that we have to have at a cat or a muffler but im not sure on the laws does anyone know were to find exhaust regulations. If i dont need cats then i was looking into some headers with a y pipe without cats and then a straight pipe back to a LM Exhaust. Wha do you think?

Asmodeus 05-10-2007 11:27 PM

I don't like that set-up. It sounds loud, obnoxious, and overall not good. VERY raspy.

slow1999blackz28 05-13-2007 01:51 PM

I dont suggest the LM1's theyr just too obnoxious for me they have no tone. I was dead set on being the loudest but in the end regret it LS1sounds.com is great but dont rely on it because its not going to be the same as yours because of sound quality. As a final point wait to get headers before going with just a y pipe unless this is all you intend on for the exhaust set up

BlackBeautyWS6 05-13-2007 03:15 PM

I just installed the Pacesetter LT's and TSP true duals yesterday and WOW i freakin love it!!! Right now i just have it with the x-pipe and no mufflers and Im thinkin about keeping it like that.