New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about 2001 WS6 TA

Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question questions about 2001 WS6 TA

Need some help..........Question 1: I have a 2001 WS6 TA, black and the wide piece (part of the car) (unsure what it is called) behind the t-tops, the paint appears to be lifting some. I see little spots there. I have seen several other TA's and Camaros with the same problem.........any idea on what is causing it and if there is a recall?

Qestion 2: The trim around back glass (black trim) looks like crap! I was told it is because I take it to the car wash (laser only), but the wax makes the trim look bad. Can I buy more trim? From where? How hard to change? Or is there a paint that I can paint it with?

Quesstion 3: When I put my car in gear (say from park to drive or drive to reverse) there is a weird noise and it sounds like it is the brakes engaging???? Can't really put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound like the trans., it really sounds like some sort of brake noise. If you apply the brakes REALLY HARD then you can hardly hear it. Anyone elese have this problem?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, TA Girl
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

First, welcome to the site.

On your question #1, read the link below. The sail panel paint issue is well known, some people are able to get it covered by their dealers, others are not. If you are not the original owner of the car, then chances are you won't find a dealer anywhere that will cover it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/308546-bubbling-sail-panel-issue-dummies.html

Question #2, that trim will fade and dry out in the sun. Certain waxes can cause it to turn white as well, but usually the damage is done by the sun. If you want to protect it, you need to regularly apply plastic/rubber protectant to keep it from drying out. If you want to replace it, the dealer should be able to get you a window trim kit.

Not sure on Question #3. Can you give a better description of the sound? Is it a grinding? Or tinking? Or creaking?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Launching!

to the first question i had a 2000 black firebird before i got my 2001 ws6 and i had the same problem and took it to a auto body shop and they said it would cost between 200-600 dollars to repaint it but i know the owner so it my be more somewhere else maybe this will help if the dealership wont fix it
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01trans am
to the first question i had a 2000 black firebird before i got my 2001 ws6 and i had the same problem and took it to a auto body shop and they said it would cost between 200-600 dollars to repaint it but i know the owner so it my be more somewhere else maybe this will help if the dealership wont fix it
Repainting alone will not be good enough. The problem will come back. The entire panel needs to be replaced.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308546
Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

really ii didn't know that i thought it was just the way they painted it made it do that
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01trans am
really ii didn't know that i thought it was just the way they painted it made it do that
It's an issue with the glue they used on the panel eating through, only way to fix it for good is to replace the panel and use the proper glue.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

My car's 7 years old and no problems with the sail panel (knocking on wood!)

As far as the noise, I have a clunking sound under conditions like you described and when I asked the dealer about it they said "THEY ALL DO THAT!" I've got 44k miles on it and it hasn't caused any problems...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Pats Fan
My car's 7 years old and no problems with the sail panel (knocking on wood!)
They don't all do it, so you might be ok. I don't expect to see any issues with my '98 either, considering it's 9 years old and doesn't have the problem yet. Most of the people I've heard of with this issue having it develop after the car is just a few years old.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to love the 98's.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will read up on the the sail panel and atleast I know what it is called now. As for the brake noise (?) it doesn't have a sound I can really describe other than it is louder if I press the brake normal and not very noticable at all if I press the brakes very hard. It does sound like it comes from the back brakes/tires though (not front). I only hear it when I put car in gear (park to drive, drive to reverse, etc.). Again much thanks to all who replied. TAgal
Old 05-19-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAgal
Quesstion 3: When I put my car in gear (say from park to drive or drive to reverse) there is a weird noise and it sounds like it is the brakes engaging???? Can't really put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound like the trans., it really sounds like some sort of brake noise. If you apply the brakes REALLY HARD then you can hardly hear it. Anyone elese have this problem?

Thanks, TA Girl
I have the same problem is a grinding noise coming from the Brakes.
Someone?????
Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Can anyone shed some light on this brake noise mystery? Yes, I do agree that the sound would be a grinding noise, though. Really drives me crazy! And it is not from bad brakes either, I had the best brakes I could get put on the car. I was relieved to hear that someone else knows what I am talking about.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing up a dead thread here but I'm in the "noisy annoying grinding noise" boat here too. I only get it in reverse, but every time I throw it into reverse, I get a bad grind followed by a pretty violent jerk into gear. Its like the car really has to struggle to get into reverse.

Search this Thread