Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod bearing?

OK first let me introduce myself Im new to this site I bought a 98 Trans Am (my first LS1) back in January. It's stock other than a Borla catback. Around a month ago I took it out to run it for the first time. As I was driving it when it got to around 5500 i felt a big hesitation and got off of it real quick. After that it has developed a knocking noise when u give it gas not at idle just when u press on the accelerator. I was told that it may be a rod bearing. Because the oil pressure has dropped to 20-25 at idle. I took it apart and one of the pushrods was slightly bent. Couldnt be seen but when run across a flat surface you could tell it was bent. I was just wondering while the car is still apart. Could it be the pushrod (sounds like middle of the engine knock thats why i wonder) or could it be a rod bearing? If rod bearing whats a good estimate on a repair bill?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the site!
one thing about noises nobody can hear them but you, they can be very tricky sounding like they are coming from somewhere they are not.
buy your self a mechanics stethiscope. you can hear each individual bearing or rocker arm etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98blckTA
OK first let me introduce myself Im new to this site I bought a 98 Trans Am (my first LS1) back in January. It's stock other than a Borla catback. Around a month ago I took it out to run it for the first time. As I was driving it when it got to around 5500 i felt a big hesitation and got off of it real quick. After that it has developed a knocking noise when u give it gas not at idle just when u press on the accelerator. I was told that it may be a rod bearing. Because the oil pressure has dropped to 20-25 at idle. I took it apart and one of the pushrods was slightly bent. Couldnt be seen but when run across a flat surface you could tell it was bent. I was just wondering while the car is still apart. Could it be the pushrod (sounds like middle of the engine knock thats why i wonder) or could it be a rod bearing? If rod bearing whats a good estimate on a repair bill?
oooo yea i cant tell u for sure..obviously b/c im not there listening or there for the tear down...but just b/c u mentioned oil pressure droppin leads me to believe u spun a bearing
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SStheBest
oooo yea i cant tell u for sure..obviously b/c im not there listening or there for the tear down...but just b/c u mentioned oil pressure droppin leads me to believe u spun a bearing
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

weird, my oil pressure is 40 when cold, then drops to 15-20 psi when its warm, sometimes its lower.. and it only has about 50k miles on it. no noise or hesitation though.. its a OEM jasper replacement engine. my stock one blew up at 56k miles with no warning
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ thats still to low for a ls1 motor, regardless if its rebuilt or not....are you using like 10w30 or something....no ls1 car should idle at 15-20psi.....that will break something

for the original guy, a drop in oil pressure, hesitation, and a low amount of oise are good signs of a low end issue...ive spun bearings, and when i did it, did all those things, invest in a nice built shortblock now....thats about how much your going to blow