Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan belt problem

hi, noob question here. today my car was making weird hard to explain sounds, so i got out of my car to hear it, it was coming from under the hood, and the guy from across the street yells, "its your fan belt". how do i know for sure that its my fan belt and what to do? thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have a fan belt, your fans are electric (ie, not belt driven). If it's a squeaking sound, your serpentine belt tensioner may be going bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Launching!

it's not a sqeaking sound. it sounds like its metal lightly rubbing on something. its really hard to describe. i took in to the service shop today and it was quiet. but earlier today i heard it, but not as loud as yesterday. i hate when that happens. they told me to wait till it happens more frequently. until then i shouldnt have anything to worry about they said. they couldnt figure out what it was because my car was being good.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Well check your air conditioner compressor first. Try cycling it on and off and see if the noise appears or goes away. After that you can keep going through all your accessories including the tensioner and what not. More than likely the bearing is shot on one of the pullies.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am also having the same exact noise (metal lightly rubbing on something) from under the hood but only seems to occur when the car warms up. I was told my 2 tensioners need replacing. Also did the air conditioner test by cycling the compressor on and off but that doesn't seem to be it. Does that seem correct to be 2 tensioners?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

I think there is a sticky on how to grease and re-pack the tensioner bearings.