New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your same old headligt problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your same old headligt problem.

Hey guys, I was hoping someone has heard of this problem before. I just put a cage in a 1999 TA. I chose to go through the dash, so I had to remove it. Both of the air bags were removed, and an aftermarket steering wheel was installed. The car has been put back together and everything is great accept for one thing. When the ignition is turned to the run position the headligths come up and the headlight switch does not function. If the key is only turned to acc the headlights stay down and the switch will work them properly. I think I have gone over all the grounds that I possibly could have forgotten. The only thing that was done out of the ordinary was that the wiring for the airbag at the steering wheel was cut right at the back of the airbag. Is there something in this wiring that could possibly effect the headlamps?? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

You may have a short in that harness you cut. Check the wiring schematics if you have a shop manual and follow the wires that were cut to see where they conect. Check your other wires again going to and from the headlight/dimmer switch and make sure all voltages are good with the switch, and with that, probe (yes, I said probe) the switch leads, with a multimeter if you can, and check the differences when the ignition is at ACC and RUN. At that point, all I can say is follow the issue to a point were there's problems, basically voltage where it's not supposed to be or no voltage where it needs to be. If the car has steering wheel controls, check the wires to those too, again, possible short from a nicked wire or a cut wire that wasn't properly isolated. Electrical problems are a pain to deal with, good luck chasing the gremlins.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Sounds very similar to a headlight problem I had. Its not a common problem so I took forever to figure out what was wrong.

If I understand correctly the headlight work a long as the key is not in the run position. Sounds like a DRL (daytime running light) module. When is goes out the headlight will usually pop-up when the drl are on...whenever the key is in the run position. Unplug the module and see if you headlights go down.